Removing Oil Injection and Need Part Number for Block Plug/Cover.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all. i am planning on removing the oil injection system from my '88 Mercury Black Max XR4, and can't find a part number for the plug that goes into the black where the pump used to be. can anyone help me out with this. thanks, ac.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Removing Oil Injection and Need Part Number for Block Plug/Cover.

Cut and paste.

Re: oil injection removal Merc V6 only

You need part number 43453 if it is available. That retains the pump driveshaft bushing and plugs the hole where the pump mounts. Then remove the oil components and the warning module. You'll also need to remove the fitting that the oil tank pressure hose attaches to and plug the hole in the block.

Order three stickers (37-818029 1), one to mount near the fuel fitting on the motor, one for the dash, and one near the fuel fill fitting on the boat. They'll alert the operator that the gas needs to have oil added. One frequent problem we see here regards the infamous "brother-in-law" that forgets to add oil to the gas and roaches the motor.

You should probably replace the fuel lines where the fitting for the oil T's into the fuel line with a single piece of fuel line.

hope it helps
John

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing Oil Injection and Need Part Number for Block Plug/Cover.

thanks again john. sorry about the double posting. first i thought i needed just the part number, but then decided to ask for a detail of removal. should have just edited the other post. my apologies.

i'm going to try one other thing before i remove the oil injection completely. a mechanic friend of mine suggested replacing the actual horn in the remote. says he's seen them short-out internally and sound at high rpm's. it a relatively inexpensive shot (around $30 bucks), so i thought i'd try it. i just hate to remove the oil injection when it seems to be working so well (besides the alarm).

thanks again for all the help. ac.