What would make Engine "Blow Up" ?

Torontocity

Seaman Apprentice
Being a Novice working on my own Engine, I've heard alot about Engines Blowing up.
What would be some reasons to cause an Engine to Explode?

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What would make Engine "Blow Up" ?

First, in case you don't realize. In the context you are talking about, a engine does not blow up as in going boom. If something goes wrong with an engine internally, it is considered blowing up.

There is basically two things that will blow an engine.

1. To much heat. When heads, pistons, and/or cylinder get to hot, they warp and/or crack.

2. Normal wear and tear. Eventually, from normal use, engines will blow due to brearings or something else wearing out.

Excessive heat is usually from lack of cooling. A lean fuel/air mixture can also cause so much heat that proper cooling methods cannot keep the engine cool enough.

If you lose oil pressure, an engine will wear and tear at over a million times its normal rate.

LubeDude

Admiral

I would have to say that about 9 times out of ten it it neglecting basic maintenance.

Not changing oil
Using the wrong oil
not replacing the water pump every couple of years
over or under propped
Freezing. Not draining the engine durring the winter
Just not keeping an eye on things!

Torontocity

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys.........Some people are so Dramatic!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"First, in case you don't realize. A engine does not blow up as in going boom. "

HHHMMMM....gonna have to disagree with that one,There was a video of a guys new SeaRay...gas leak....no blower used...Oh,Yea it went BOOM.friend was video taping the first cruise and caught the whole thing...turn up the volume and you can hear a distinctive BOOM !!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Watch a NASCAR race. When billowing clouds of smoke and fire come out the exhaust you will hear Darrell Waltrip exclaim: "She Blowed Up!"

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Down here in North Carolina its : She Blowed up REAL good"

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or......."it's TORE UP real bad......."

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

99 times out of 100 it's due to operator incompetence via lack of maintanence or cluelessness to operation.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In Jersey, its "he wacked the motor".

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Over revving is another common cause. In doing so some engines will break a rod in two, some will have enertia take over and the valve springs will not get the valves out of the way of the pistons in time, flywheels not up to the strain, I even saw one where one piston had a flaw and snapped in two at the pin boss.

Almost always this leads to internal parts escaping with a loud noise.

Some guys like to use nitrous oxide to replace old fashioned tuning. Nitrous is hard on iron too. Blocks are known to rip apart. I would call that blowing up.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Guys.........Some people are so Dramatic!

What's wrong with dramatic? :D

MobBlownMotor.jpg

puddle jumper

Captain

An engine can explode. On a four stroke engine if you get gas in the crank case with a back fire that is drawn down the PVC system could blow the oil pan off. This could happen on engines that have been flooded badly and the oil not changed. It is very unlikely to happen even under those circumstances.

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

An engine can explode. On a four stroke engine if you get gas in the crank case with a back fire that is drawn down the PVC system could blow the oil pan off. This could happen on engines that have been flooded badly and the oil not changed. It is very unlikely to happen even under those circumstances.

they can blow up......drastically !!!!!

my first car was a 69 charger with a 383 magnum......timing chain slipped and i put a valve thru the top of the piston ...(all i heard was "a kind of grinding noise")

i had to get a cab to boost me.....(i thought it just stalled)

turned over 3 times......and KA-BOOM !!!!!!

took 45 seconds for the oil filler cap to come down.....it missed us by just a few feet!

boats......if you dont use the bilge blower before starting......can go boom.....sorry ...i mean ka-BOOM !!!!!

bhammer

Ensign

Just to add my comment.... Engines blow up all the time. It's normal; that's what an internal combustion is all about. The explosion in each cylinder blowing up is what makes it work. :p :D:D

It's those uncontained blow ups you don't want. :mad:

Coors

Captain

they can blow up......drastically !!!!!

my first car was a 69 charger with a 383 magnum......timing chain slipped and i put a valve thru the top of the piston ...(all i heard was "a kind of grinding noise")

i had to get a cab to boost me.....(i thought it just stalled)

turned over 3 times......and KA-BOOM !!!!!!

took 45 seconds for the oil filler cap to come down.....it missed us by just a few feet!

boats......if you dont use the bilge blower before starting......can go boom.....sorry ...i mean ka-BOOM !!!!!
Oops, I am helping a bud rebuild a 69 charger, but he found a 440 to put in it.