i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> CntrySngr; Use ST1290-60<br />
Thanks John...I am going to take a picture of my transom and post it...I think that my ladder is going to interfere with the Smart Tabs, but I want you to take a look before I order them, if you don't mind?

Bonus

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks NautiJohn, thats what I figered, but I was geussing (bigger is better in this case). Will order in the next week or so.<br /><br />Bob in CO

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NautiJohn, here is the back of my boat:<br /><br />
CSTRANS.jpg
<br /><br />Notice the ladder retracts into the area where (I believe) the "strut" for the tabs would need to mount. The ladder retracts to within a few inches of the transom. This leads me to believe I don't have room for the Smart Tabs?

tommays

Admiral

exactly like my maxum SC2000 and dont forget about the trailer tie down eye its part of the transome and also in the way<br /><br />its what has kept we from getting trim tabs <br /><br /><br />tommays<br />
f3b2f253.jpg
<br />
f3b2f256.jpg
<br /><br />
f3b2f25a.jpg

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a picture with the Trans Straps on. No way around them for the Smart Tabs. :confused: :( <br /><br />
CSTRANS2.jpg

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by CntrySngr:<br /> Here's a picture with the Trans Straps on. No way around them for the Smart Tabs. :confused: :( <br /><br />
CSTRANS2.jpg
The transom on my Bayliner is similar, though the ladder sticks out away from the stern far enough… but the Transom straps on my setup are in just about your place. By looking at you picture, seems to me that the trim tabs could be mounted to the right and left of the straps. Since I ALREADY ordered mine, I’d be very interested in hearing what nautiJohn has to say. :confused: <br /><br />Edit: If not, then maybe the tabs could be raised (flapped up) and the transon strapped "over" the tabs since the stress-point on the strap is really at the corner of the hull???

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The installation of Smart Tabs on the boat as pictured above is certainly "doable".<br /><br />First the transom tiedowns are easily delt with by moving the hook on the trailer to the cross bar of the frame, directly below the transom eye.<br /><br />Most stores that handle trailor parts will carry an angle bracket. The bracket is about 1/4 thick by 1 1/2" wide and each leg is about 3" long. One leg of the bracket has two 1/2" holes used for bolting the bracket to the trailor frame. The other leg has one 1" hole for the strap hook.<br /><br />The top of the Actuator (transom Bracket mounting) can be arranged to fall between the ladder bars or to the left or right of the ladder.<br /><br />I hope this helps! Additional mounting options can be used as well. I suggest that you call us at 800-233-0194.

Andrec4016

Seaman

Hi all.. I purchased a 18' Manatee Cuddy Cabin with 140 Evinrude that has both smart tabs and a dolphin tail and from driving other boats I have noticed that it comes out of the water faster and handles better at low speeds as well. But my problem is that when planned out and WOT the boat wants to bank to the left goin straight.. first time it happend scared the you know what out of me.. made sure that both tabs are equal in angle and placement also checked pressure both are equal, also boat is balanced.. any suggestions here should I lift the starboard tab? or will this make it worse.. or just take them off all together..

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by AndreC4016:<br /> Hi all.. I purchased a 18' Manatee Cuddy Cabin with 140 Evinrude that has both smart tabs and a dolphin tail and from driving other boats I have noticed that it comes out of the water faster and handles better at low speeds as well. But my problem is that when planned out and WOT the boat wants to bank to the left goin straight.. first time it happend scared the you know what out of me.. made sure that both tabs are equal in angle and placement also checked pressure both are equal, also boat is balanced.. any suggestions here should I lift the starboard tab? or will this make it worse.. or just take them off all together..
John has said many times on to take off the hydrofoil. Having both on there causes symptoms like you are experiencing.

Andrec4016

Seaman

Thanks garycinn.. Like I said the boat came with it so I'm asking the experts... will try taken off the fin its easy to do with the boat in the water.. why have the dolphin tail anyway ??

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by garycinn:<br /> How about crossing the straps under opposite sides?<br /><br />How about ditching your current ladder and putting something like this on your swim platform?<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...ladder&**********=400347862&*******=498341941 <br /><br />
5426_14185.jpg
I don't think I can cross them under the outdrive like that, but I will go check.<br /><br />I do not want to do that type of ladder as I dont want to "deface" the swim platform. I like it the way it is with the retractible ladder. IF there were another type of retractible, I might consider that. Thanks for the suggestion, though! :D

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by garycinn:<br /> How about crossing the straps under opposite sides?
Well, if you can get straps that long, how about hooking one end to the transom eye, dropping the other end down to the cross bar, wrap it once maybe, and pull back up to the eye and tighten 'er up? I am ABSOLUTELY not an expert, and am really looking for someone to chime in who knows... because I am going to have this very same problem. I will do the angle bracket thing if I have to, but I'd rather not.<br /><br />Any other ideas, anyone???

phatmanmike

Captain

why not just get the big strap that goes all the way from one side of the boat to the other. its like a 20 foot strap.

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, not suppose to post.Dont know what happened.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Andre and others!<br /><br />PLEASE NOTE: NEVER USE A HYDROFOIL / DOLEFIN IN CONJUNCTION WITH OUR SMART TABS!!<br /><br />What you are experiencing is excessive lift on the stern which drives the bow down. This causes bow steering. The hydrofoils increase lift as the boat increases in speed. This is exactly what you do not want. Smart Tabs never exceed the predetermined lift designed into the actuator and mounting adjsutment. <br /><br />Removing the hydrofoil should also allow the boat to increase speed as much as 5 MPH given what you have indicated.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Regarding the straps!<br /><br />They can be wrapped arround the cross bar on the frame and hooked to itself. It does not need to go back up to the transom eye.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> Regarding the straps!<br /><br />They can be wrapped arround the cross bar on the frame and hooked to itself. It does not need to go back up to the transom eye.
Sweet! :D

Andrec4016

Seaman

Thanks John.. I heard Alot of good things about smart tabs and when I purchased the boat I was scratching my head why would you have tabs and fin.. since they tend to do the same thing in different ways.. the guy who sold me the boat told me that he was trying to get the bow down and started adding thing with out taking the other off, I guess he thought it was fixed yes the bow goes down but at WOT it banks to the left like a plane going straight, but thanks I will take the fin off this weekend and let you know what happens..