Quicksilver 3000 Classic Control Why No Throttle in Reverse?

ericpeters68

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
2
I just bought a 1997 Maxum boat/Force 120 OB with the aforementioned control. It seems fine except that, while one can shift in to reverse, one can not accelerate (i.e. the throttle cable actuator arm inside the unit remains stationary, and the handle won't move past the reverse shift arc). One CAN depress the neutral lockout button and accelerate by moving the handle back but, of course, then there is no shift. Is this normal? If so, why is it designed this way? My OMC controls always allowed me to accelerate in reverse (good to fire the retro rockets for panic stops). If not, what could the problem be? I could find no numbers on the control (which I have had apart) . Is there perhaps some adjustment one can make to the control to facilitate regaining this function? Also, are the shift and throttle strokes the same for Mercury outboards as they are for OMC outboards? I'm thinking of using Teleflex universal cables with proper ends and using my Evinrude 150 with this boat and control. Thanks for any and all responses. By the way, I read a lot of threads to be sure I wasn't repeating a topic, but apologies if I did.
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: Quicksilver 3000 Classic Control Why No Throttle in Reverse?

Control boxes are not interchangeable between engine manufacturers. Yamaha for example has both push and pull throttles which work backward from each other.
 
Top