Strange engine noise on bayliner 175 br with mercruiser 3.0

stefbel

Recruit
Hello,

I'm a new bayliner owner and mine has just 6 hours... A 175 BR XT with 135 hp mercruiser 3.0.
Since 2 hours now, when the engine get warm, either on neutral position (no speed) or low RPM, a very strange noise comes from the front side of the engine (the side you can see in a small movie I linked hereby). It seems to disappear at higher speed (which I'm not sure as the overall engine noise is quite high).
Please find the video here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefbel/2481911067/in/set-72157604995746041/
hard to say if it's a moving part that touches a fix one or if it's a pump noise.
It's not the bilge pump.... this for sure
The frequency of the noise does not increase with the speed, or just a bit. The noise just get shorter.
Does anyone already experience such a problem.
by the way it's not a bird :).
Regards,
STEF

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Strange engine noise on bayliner 175 br with mercruiser 3.0

belt whine??

stefbel

Recruit

it's not the belt, the noise comes directly from this round part I filmed. What's in this part ?

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

the part you filmed is the water pump.
however the noise sounds alot like the alternator. two chioces to find out:
1- take a broom handle or large screwdriver, carefully touch one end to the NON-MOVING part you think is making the noise, and the other end to your ear. you'll find the problem is readily apparent.
2- remove belt, spin waterpump and alternator by hand, you should feel which one is rough. my money is on the alternator.
good video for this.

fishrdan

Admiral

It sounds like a bad bearing to me, follow Brunolund's advise and you should be able to find the culprit.

I had the front alternator bearing go out on my 3.0 and it sounded similar to your noise, but the WP also has bearings... My alternator bearing was so thrashed I now replace it every few years to make sure I don't get stuck with a bad alternator out on the water. A few of the replaced bearings were rough and going bad, the others were still smooth and could have gone longer. Either way it was worth the hour and $10 to swap the bearing for my peace of mind.

stefbel

Recruit

Thanks to you,

I will keep you informed of the solution. Which will make the first video FAQ database data :)

cbavier

Lieutenant

Take it back to your Dealer. It's under warranty. Let them find the problem and fix it.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Bad bearing in the alternator is attempting to stop the alternator, noise is the belt slipping/skidding on the pulley.

The CS Series used in cars is VERY bad for this.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Bad bearing in the alternator is attempting to stop the alternator, noise is the belt slipping/skidding on the pulley.

The CS Series used in cars is VERY bad for this.

Thatta be my guess too. :D

Maxximus

Cadet

Curious on bumping this as I have something similar I think. I have 3.0L Merc that whines the first 5minutes or so the engine is running, but after that, it stops. I can turn off and beach it for a couple hours and fine after that, but happens first startup every time I take it out (which is about once every 1-2weeks).

Maclin

Admiral

That sounds like alternator working to replace the charge in the battery used by the starter motor plus whatever charge was lost in between outings. If it bugs you then you can try charging the battery outside the boat before the outing or at intervals between outings.

Also it is best to start a new thread rather than open up one this old :)