Fuel or igntion problem??

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
85hp 87 force

I recently replaced the ignition switch/fuel pump/switchbox..this is the problem it will start only when i put gas directly in the throat of the carbs then it will only run on full warm up throttle.. it sounds like it wants to die..I cleaned the carbs but still no avail..the idle screw on top of the carbs,how far do i put them in???? any ideas??? could i have crossed a wire in the switch box or it wouldn't start at all??? compression is 119 in all cylinders..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel or igntion problem??

85hp 87 force

I recently replaced the ignition switch/fuel pump/switchbox..this is the problem it will start only when i put gas directly in the throat of the carbs then it will only run on full warm up throttle.. it sounds like it wants to die..I cleaned the carbs but still no avail..the idle screw on top of the carbs,how far do i put them in???? any ideas??? could i have crossed a wire in the switch box or it wouldn't start at all??? compression is 119 in all cylinders..

Classic fuel delivery problem.go through the carbs again with careful attention to all passages and jets.Pull line from pump to carbs, put in can and carefully crank, gas should come out in strong pulses.Initial idle mix setting is 1 turn out from gently bottomed.Final adjustment made warm in gear at idle.
All carbs as close to the same as possible.
If the motor has been out of service for a long time you should go through the system from tank to carbs with careful attention to cleaning.

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay how do i check a fuel pump??? i pulled it yesterday and gave it a few cranks and it shot out like maybe a inch or two is that normal???

maxum247

Lieutenant

Did you rebuild the pump or replace it with a used one? Wondering if the carb bowls are filling with gas?

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

i rebuild it but it only shoots out a inch or two,i hooked up my vacuum fuel pump from my jetski and it shoot out well over a foot??

maxum247

Lieutenant

Check your fuel line from the tank to where it connects to the motor make sure there's no air leaks at the plug in fittings or primer bulb!
Is the primer bulb pumping up tight and staying tight?
If gas filter in line check to see if plugged. Same with pickup screen in fuel tank.

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got it running today!!!! but when i run it at wot it seems to wanna bog down,also i had to have the idle set to the highest level for it to run??? also it will stall if i put the cowl back on???

maxum247

Lieutenant

Check the pickup in your tank for cloggs and check to see if the primer ball is colapsing at wide open throttle. Look for air leaks in the fuel line.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Choke plates need to be level when open for the engine to run correctly! Anything less will cause it to bog down and not want to run correctly.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If it stalls with the cover on you probably have an exhaust leak.If it boggs
stumbles and refuses to idle its probably one or more of the carbs still dirty or adjusted wrong,float or dirtyy passages or jets.Don't be running with a high idle you can ruin the clutch dog shifting at high idle.