Re-help Spark Problem

King mustang

Seaman
First of all just want to say hi to everyone on this board nice site.

Now for the question I have.

I have a Mariner 225 HP serial # 6201349 looking from the back of the boat on the left side top cyl. I have no spark. I took the coil and swaped it with the next coil still the same result then I took the harness plug and put it in the top cyl and I have spark so I think the problem is in the harness but this 1 guy tells me it's the stator. I need a second opinion.

I would also like to know the year of this motor serial # 6201349

Thank you for your time.

Thanks Aj :confused:

Laddies

Banned
Re: Re-help Spark Problem

The guy that said stator is full of crap, a stator effects 3 or 6 cyls. not 1. The only things that effect 1 cyl. are switch box, coil or the wiring for that coil and very seldom a bad bios in the opposite side box.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

This ignition uses two 3 cyl switchboxes, usually a stator problem will drop a whole box or 3 cyls, a trigger problem will drop 2 cyls, one on each box. Only a coil, a wire or a box will drop only one cyl.

If you have swapped the suspect coil with another coil and the 'no spark' has not changed cyl's then I'd begin to suspect the box BUT, I'd have to prove the box defective by measuring the box output to the coil with a DVA meter
AND
retest after disconnecting the bias wire between the two boxes to rule out a defective bias in the OTHER box.

With NO RETURN on electrical parts you must be certain that you only order what you really need.

King mustang

Seaman

I'm going to test the box & wire out with my vantage meter i'll let you know the results when I get back.

Thanks fellas ;)

King mustang

Seaman

Ok I just got back from the boat this motor does not have a switch box it has a Digital Micro-computer Management System I guess this might be the problem. I checked all wires there are no breakes in the wires. I also used my scope and I get the signal pulses from the stator.

This is the only box in there.

The #s are 225 ignition ecu
830044 2
pi52420703

on side 3.0 l
112100-3100

Could this be the problem ?

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned

Check the first digit in the serial number you gave us I think it might be a G not a 6 that would make your engines ignition system a CDM system not a ADI and a complete change the testing for the system.

King mustang

Seaman

Check the first digit in the serial number you gave us I think it might be a G not a 6 that would make your engines ignition system a CDM system not a ADI and a complete change the testing for the system.

You are correct is og201349 it's a 1995 just figured it out.

Laddies

Banned

OK this should be help it is labeled 2.5 liter as near as I know it's the same as your system.
scan0005-1.jpg

scan0006.jpg

King mustang

Seaman

Laddies I will try that on Saturday and let you know the the results.

Thank you for your time. ;)

King mustang

Seaman

I just got back from the boat and the color code from the schematic is not the same color as the motor. This motor runs off this littel computer. Part # 830044 2.

I still have 1 person saying that it's the stator or the ecu he said that this motor does not come with a switch box so the stator or ecu could be bad.
I want to be sure those parts are bar becuase that ecu is $705.00 and statos is $250.00

These are the wires on that cyl.
The wires that go to the coil are white with orange stripe , green with orange stripe , black , black with yellow stripe. The white with orange stripe goes to ecu the green with orange comes from stator the black is groung and blacl with yellow seems to go to all the coils.

Thanks for you help again

Laddies

Banned

Sorry but I must not have a test for your engine.

King mustang

Seaman

Laddies I Just Have To Say Thank You The Info You Pm Me Was What I Needed I Did All The Tests And Came Up With A Bad Stator I Picked 1 Up Now The Motor Run Like A Dream.

Thanks Again Aj ;););)