Alpha outdrive about to let loose?

mc355ss

Cadet
Hello, I just bought a 1988 Citation with a 3.0l 130 mercruiser, not sure what the outdrive is on it. I changed the oil in the outdrive when I got this boat a week ago and the oil was dirty with metal shavings in it. Its on its third oil change now and the last 2 had lots of metal shavings (oil looked like metallic paint). What you think that is?? Boat shifts and runs good.

Is this a alpha 1, 2 or what? Not sure how to tell. also whats the gear ratio and are they all the same on each alpha model? I'm going to drain the fluid today, we ran that boat 4 hours yesterday so I'll see how bad it is. I am going to pop the top cover and take a look, also check out the coupler if I can see anything. Do you think this is the lower gearset or the upper? I've had outboards apart so I hope this unit is similar. The rear engine mounts look like they are missing a top rubber bushing, the motor seems to move around a bit. I may use some bushings I have laying around to tighten those up.

So here's my questions,
What model alpha do I have?
Is the lower or upper unit going out?
Are my mounts missing an upper rubber bushing? (there is a sleve on top but no bushings)?
How do I change my hydraulic trim fluid? (its got water in it)
Should I change any other parts while I have it apart? (water pump etc)

If anyone knows a link to rebuilding these outdrives that would be great, I'd like to see what this looks like inside before I pull it apart. I'm guessing Ill get a bearing and seal kit if the gears are ok. Should I change any other parts while I have it apart? Thanks for the info!
Chad

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alpha outdrive about to let loose?

Find a serial number, last resort, post a picture.
You haven't given enough information.

Bondo

Staff member

Is this a alpha 1, 2 or what?

Ayuh,........

It Should be an Alpha 1,.......
And,.....
It sounds like it needs a Rebuid Now, while there's still some salvageable parts left,....
If there still is.....

It might be Cheaper to grab an SEI drive, Brand New......

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Hello, I just bought a 1988 Citation with a 3.0l 130 mercruiser, not sure what the outdrive is on it. I changed the oil in the outdrive when I got this boat a week ago and the oil was dirty with metal shavings in it. Its on its third oil change now and the last 2 had lots of metal shavings (oil looked like metallic paint). What you think that is?? Boat shifts and runs good.

Is this a alpha 1, 2 or what? Not sure how to tell. also whats the gear ratio and are they all the same on each alpha model? I'm going to drain the fluid today, we ran that boat 4 hours yesterday so I'll see how bad it is. I am going to pop the top cover and take a look, also check out the coupler if I can see anything. Do you think this is the lower gearset or the upper? I've had outboards apart so I hope this unit is similar. The rear engine mounts look like they are missing a top rubber bushing, the motor seems to move around a bit. I may use some bushings I have laying around to tighten those up.

So here's my questions,
What model alpha do I have?
Alpha 1, gen 1
Is the lower or upper unit going out?
Metallic gear lube means borrowed time...
How long?.....
Only the wizard knows......;)
Are my mounts missing an upper rubber bushing? (there is a sleve on top but no bushings)?
Should be replaced with an OEM mount, or you risk misalignment & smoking the $300.00 coupler....
How do I change my hydraulic trim fluid? (its got water in it)
You need to disconnect the hoses at the trim cylinders & compress them to drain, just add fluid & keep cycling up & down to self bleed the system.....
However, you need to locate the source of the leak or your efforts will be futile as it is a closed system that shouldd never have water present......;)
Should I change any other parts while I have it apart? (water pump etc)

If anyone knows a link to rebuilding these outdrives that would be great, I'd like to see what this looks like inside before I pull it apart. I'm guessing Ill get a bearing and seal kit if the gears are ok. Should I change any other parts while I have it apart? Thanks for the info!
Chad
I would go Bondo route here & just get a new SEI for like $1200, brand new with a 3 year warranty.....
The cost of parts & the tools & the special skills involved in a rebuild will soon put you at or near that threshhold......
Get a new one, bolt it on & go boating.....:)

mc355ss

Cadet

Thanks for all the info guys! Here's the serial number: OC375953
I've had it out 2 more times, about 6 more hours. The third oil change looked a lot better, clear oil with a lot less shavings. Just have to see how it goes. I keep checking the in and out play on the prop and its not changed. Everything spins good too.

I noticed water leaking inside behind the motor thru the transom just above the driveshaft coming through a hole in the i/o unit, any idea what that hole is for? It was a small leak and it happens at a idle speed. Also the prop looks as if it hit the adjuster fin at some point before I got it and took a chunk out, why would the prop be so close to this? It spins right through where the chunk was! I got a 13.5x23 ss prop to replace the 14.25x21 prop on it, I'll let you know how this one performs. It hit 42mph on the GPS today with that torn up cast one thats on it. Thanks

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like ya know where yer drive is gonna take ya with the title of the tread. them metal shaveings are thruout yer upper and lower by now, in between gears, in brgs., eating up seals......
as for the water comeing in. i don't know about any hole in the drive that comes inside the boat. the water hose connects back on the transom shield that runs fwd and feeds water to yer engine. other than that, ya should probably check yer bellows and other drive line stuff for signs of water intrusion. good time to do that would be when yer R&Rin yer drive.
as for the 23P prop. just a guess. but i'd bet it's too much pitch. ya set yer prop up for proper wot throttle specs yer engine has. the fact that the prop hits the trim tab is probably just the design of prop. perhaps more rake. there are different thickness thrust washers too. i had to grind a bit of my tab off to accomodate more rake on a different prop i got. even the thin thrust washer wasn't thin enough......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I changed the oil in the outdrive when I got this boat a week ago and the oil was dirty with metal shavings in it. Its on its third oil change now and the last 2 had lots of metal shavings (oil looked like metallic paint).

Mechanical things don't heal.
You are very close to total failure.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

let us know when it blows... we'd all love to see some pictures of real damage :)

mc355ss

Cadet

I agree, I plan on replacing the outdrive bearings and all. Its just a matter of time. I switched to the 23 pitch because I do mostly cruising on the ohio river, and not much low end is needed. I'm changing the outdrive oil once again today and will keep you all updated on the countdown to destruction. Can the lower unit be removed without removing the upper from the boat? (other than submerged concrete at high speed)

I will have to take a picture of the orifice the water comes through, Its a machined hole of about 7/16" right above where the driveshaft enters the outdrive. Thanks guys!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I agree, I plan on replacing the outdrive bearings and all. Its just a matter of time. I switched to the 23 pitch because I do mostly cruising on the ohio river, and not much low end is needed. I'm changing the outdrive oil once again today and will keep you all updated on the countdown to destruction. Can the lower unit be removed without removing the upper from the boat? (other than submerged concrete at high speed)

I will have to take a picture of the orifice the water comes through, Its a machined hole of about 7/16" right above where the driveshaft enters the outdrive. Thanks guys!
If it is the small hole on just above the input shaft on the inside of the boat that is leaking water then you have a leaky bellows problem....
Time to pull the drive, I suspect that you will find the bellows full of a water & gear lube mixture....
Not good.....:(

mc355ss

Cadet

Ok, Thanks. The gear oil has no water in it if that indicates anything. I just drained it again and more metal, Its time to tear it down...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If you are just tearing it down for sh!ts and giggles, fine, but if you have any idea of repairing that drive you need to get that idea out of your head.
The tools and parts are more than the SEI replacement drive AND that drive comes with a 3 years warranty.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Ok, Thanks. The gear oil has no water in it if that indicates anything. I just drained it again and more metal, Its time to tear it down...
It won't get visible water in it, it will emulsify & discolor.....;)
For the price of a ten dollar gasket set, pull the drive & at least look at the ujoints....
If they fail catastrophically, you will be in for more than just a drive....
In fact, a shattered ujoint can sink you.....
Do yourself a favor & spend the ten/twenty minutes it will you (a newbie) to pull the drive & inspect.....;)

mc355ss

Cadet
Re: Alpha outdrive about to let loose!

The oil still looks new, no discoloration exept some metal. Lot less this time too but I don't expect it to last like this. I'll pull it and take a look. Can I pull just the lower unit first? Would the u-joints create metal that can get to the lower unit oil? Not sure if those are sealed off or contained. Thanks guys

bhammer

Ensign

U-joints are greased with a grease gun and is not connected to the outdrive oil in any way, unless there is a major leak. Like other's have said, pull the drive and see what's going on. While you are there, check ujoint, gimbal bearing and all the bellows. You will also need the gasket kit to go back on with it. I have heard and see one, that the (pros will say their correct name) gearset that the ujoing goes into began to eat teeth and cause a silver look to the oil and leave very tiny particles of oil. If something in the drive is going to give, best to just replace it as I have seen them sell brand new for cheaper than an overhaul.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The oil still looks new, no discoloration exept some metal. Lot less this time too but I don't expect it to last like this. I'll pull it and take a look. Can I pull just the lower unit first?
Yes, you can, but you wont see anything without real disassembly of the internal components.....
Would the u-joints create metal that can get to the lower unit oil?
No.....

Not sure if those are sealed off or contained. Thanks guys
There is a seal that is called the 'yoke' seal that keeps gear lube in....
However it will not keep water out, if water is present in the bellows.....;)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Can I pull just the lower unit first?

Yes, you can pull the lower unit without removing the whole outdrive.

Would the u-joints create metal that can get to the lower unit oil?

No.

You have two separate, but perhaps equally important (read - "bad") issues going on.

The metal in the oil is from the internals giving away in the outdrive. Short life span at best.

The water coming in is something that needs be addressed soon. It's either coming in from your drive bellows or perhaps a bad transom seal, which would mean a rotten transom more than likely.

First step? Remove outdrive and check the bellows and go from there.