Got a free glasspar!

Number1Monkey

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
20
Hi, this is my first post.

I recently acquired a free glasspar boat, with a '66 mer650. Im 26 and this is my first boat. After compression testing the motor, I decided I wanted to get it back on the water. I thought maybe I would post my progress here, and those with more knowledge and experience could help me to not drown or hurt myself or blow all my money! So far, I have cleaned all the seats and junk out and got the motor running. It took about 3 days tinkering, it needed the points adjusted and cleaned. Unfortunately, I broke a control cable while messing with the throttle! (Anyone know where to get them?) As far as the boat goes, it needs a new transom. It is severly rotted. (see pics) I am planning on using the seacast pourable method to fix it. Any help at all would be awesome! If there is anything that I should look out for, or anything right off the bat I should check out, let me know!

Oh ya, Does anyone know where I can find out what year the boat is? The badge with the serial number is still on it.

Mike

Boat and transom pics:

Here she is... certainly a fixer...

boat.jpg




I GUESS you could call this a transom...

boat4.jpg


boat2.jpg



And after some chainsaw work.
boat3.jpg
 

boatradioman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
127
Re: Got a free glasspar!

you can go to any boat specialist or go on the boat companies website.
 

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
463
Re: Got a free glasspar!

Check out fiberglassics.com. There is a section that shows old brochures that might help you out. Glasspar has a big following there and someone should help you identify it and get you some parts.​
 

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
637
Re: Got a free glasspar!

Of course you realize that "free" and "boat" should never be used in the same sentence ?!?:D Just kiddin, looks like a nice project. Good luck.
 

Willyclay

Captain
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
3,276
Re: Got a free glasspar!

The hull looks the same as my 1960 Glasspar 16ft Avalon except mine did not have a splashwell. Yours may be a few years later based on the built-in cable pulleys. The engine year may be the strongest indicator. The experts on this forum can help you with this project. Good luck!
 

Number1Monkey

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
20
Re: Got a free glasspar!

Thanks guys, I look forward to gettin gthis thing back out there!


Mike
 
Top