2000 f115 overfuelling

tranquilroatan

Recruit
Good morning and hello to everyone on this forum, my name is chris and have a 30'x6.6' fiberglass panga/centre consol here on Roatan in Honduras. My motors are twin yam 115hp fourstroke '00 & '02. I have had these engine for about 4 yrs and have had no major issues until now. On the '00 The motor does no want to idle due to over fueling.... when you stop the motor and tilt it up fuel pours out of the air intake manifold....? baffled! I do all of my own maintenance on these motors, timing is spot on, no probs with valves (i think) when the motor is running its perfect, pers like a kitten but idling - impossible because theres too much fuel being pumped into the motor...?

any ideas?

many thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 f115 overfuelling

check the needle valve in the VST, its leaking and venting excess fuel into the intake.
now would also be a good time to clean the filter in the VST.
takes about an hour and a half.
intake manifold removal is mandatory.
if not damaged the intake gasket can be reused as can the VST oring, if not swelled or damaged.

tranquilroatan

Recruit

HI, thanks for getting back to me. So I take it that the VST is the high pressure pump located at the back of the intake manifold. black box that has a form of 'float switch' in it.....?

many thanks again.

chris benson

tranquilroatan

Recruit

sorry stupid question VST - vapor seperating tank -

cheers. might need some more help once I have the little fella apart.

many thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the flywheel cover,remove the throttle linkage and the TPS bracket, unplug wires as nessasary, remove the intake manifold,fuel rail and VST as a unit. move it to the bench,pull hairs a bit and get after it.
if you dont have the service manual you may wish to make notes on how the fuel and vacum lines run.
if you have to cut the clamp on the high pressure fuel line make sure you use the correct Orelicher clamp when replacing it, standard hose clamps may work loose and fuel leaks at 45 PSI are not pretty.
the TPS is self learning, dont remove it from the bracket and reassembly is easy.

tranquilroatan

Recruit

good morning, so I have managed to get one engine complete and now it runs like a new engine. just one more to go, I have the boat tied up to the dock so working on the motor is kinda tricky.

Many thanks again for the advice.

chris benson