Trim reservoir seal ??????

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
This question relates to the dual ram, remote pump/reservoir trim that is found on a mid 70's six cylinder 115 hp with naturally obliterated ID/Data plate. Sorry.

I disassembled this unit to find that the electric motor had been severely contaminated with oil. Cleaned thoroughly of the oil, the motor runs great in both directions.

The SELOC manual when addressing the reservior vent screw says: "Any sign of oil in the pump motor indicates either the reservoir seal is damaged or the vent screw was closed." The seal to which this passage refers is the seal that is situated between the reservior and the motor shaft.

Unfortunately, the reservoir seal referenced above is entirely missing in a pump I am working on for a friend. Alas, I am not the first "technician" to do surgery on this puppy, and I suspect a prior guy either lost or discarded the seal. There is none present.

I strongly suspect that the seal in question is sold (if it's still available at all) as part of a new reservoir. Nonetheless, I figured I'd inquire here whether anyone has ever found a seal that would do the job.

Under normal operation, this seal shouldn't be real highly stressed since it is not exposed to pressure so long as the reservoir is vented.

Any comments -- in addition to the obvious replacement of the whole reservoir assembly -- much appreciated. I have attached two images, one showing a mechanical drawing of the area where the seal goes, and the second, a picture of the interior of the pump I'm addressing. (unfortunately, the two disk shaped items are thrust washers, not the seal. The seal is neither depicted nor identified)

Thanks for ideas, comments, etc.

Attachments

• pump guts.jpg
    pump guts.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 0