Choosing a slip: with current or against?

dsmithpdx

Cadet
Hello,

I am new here (first post). We are currently looking at a new moorage to store our 23' Monterey cuddy cabin. We have the choice of a slip that would have us pulling in against the current, or one that would have us pulling in with the current. My understanding is that it's usually preferable to dock against the current, but the problem with that side is that we have a much smaller amount of room in which to maneuver (approximately 30') than we would on the side where we'd be pulling in with the current (approximately 40').

So I'm looking for opinions: would you take the slip with lots of maneuvering room, but with the current pulling you into the slip, or the one that's tight but against the current?

Thanks for any input!

Doug

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Choosing a slip: with current or against?

for your first boat slip reguardless of the current or tide i would go for he one with more room to pull in. your dock lines will keep you in place no matter what if they are secure. if you have more room to dock, assuming your felow mates have less expeience, than you, for positiong that will give you less "rash" than anything else. as far as ive delt with........ ive knowm a guy who has been sailing for years (in milwaukee) and still came in too fast and killed a dog on he dock...sooooo funny to everyone at the yacht club....
they also now make "sliders" for each pisitioning pole and for the dock to accomodate tides and waves... im not shure what they zre called but they are great for salt water, with a little "google you cam find them.... just dont be "that guy" and youll be ok get the bigger one.... noe day it will be worth more money too, like any real estate is....peace.....just my 2 cents ps get some painters telescopeing poles to stop you and position you while you manuver into your spot

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you are using a mooring you are flaoting freely in the water. if you are in a " slip" you are surouned by docks do you have a motor to get in and out?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

evinice66, it is a single engine I/O, not a sail boat.

with that style boat, i would prefer to back into the slip, to make boarding and loading supplies easier. backing with the current can be "hairy" little control, against the current is much better, then when you leave the dock, you are moving forward with much better control.

just how strong is this current, you may consider a different marina, in a more protected environment.

also remember tides go both directions.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Being a tidal guy the current changes on me twice a day so the direction isn't the issue. With all things equal I'd take the side with the most room to manuever.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with dingbat. Unless you only plan on using it during specific tides, they're essentially both the same. Go with the one with more room.

That said, when you are practicing your docking, you can choose your times based on your tides, wherever you are. By the way, where are you? Anyway, around here, exact mid-tide is the fastest moving water. Time your docking to 1 hour or so after whichever tide is bringing you in. You'll have slower moving water to deal with and more control. And as you know, only approach the dock as fast as you're willing to hit it...

Welcome to iboats!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I prefer going against the current and prevailing wind. Sometimes the wind can cause more problems in manuvering than the current. This is especially for the larger boats with a lot of surface area. Like was mentioned, where are you located? Is it salt water or are you on a river/stream? This does make a difference also........SS

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I diden't see a location mentioned but prevailing winds may have more to do with where you dock than current/tides. Don't forget shock lines.

dsmithpdx

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies! I can't believe I didn't mention where I am at. :) I'm in Portland, OR, and we will be keeping our boat on the Columbia River (south side of Hayden Island). For those of you that are local, we're looking at Marineland at Pier 99 (the blue and white striped roofs you can see on the east side of I-5).

So the direction of the current doesn't change, but the velocity certainly does (as does the wind, of course).

We are thinking of getting a slip that is closer to shore so it's a little more protected from current and wind as well.

The slips are all single boat slips, so I don't have to worry about hitting a boat on either side of me. The biggest issue is maneuvering room behind the slip when we are coming/going.

I've been piloting this boat for almost four years now, so I'm pretty familiar with it and maneuvering it in tight spaces, but I still think that having more room is always good, regardless of direction of current.

Armed with this new information, what would you all decide?

Thanks again!
Doug

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

By the way (BTW),,,,,,Welcome to iboats Doug! :D

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You like I-are boating on a river where the current remains about the same--the wind generally comes from the W--NW----I ALWAYS take the slip where I'm under power when driving into the slip--this is different than tide issues and open moorings--if pulling in bow or stern first you always have more control against the current--I would much rather have a little less room and be able to power the boat up against the current to hold yourself in place while you line things up---I have a great idea???? Why don't you go and try BOTH slips and see which one YOU prefer---good luck-Steve

salty87

Commander

i'm also on a river, just down stream of a dam. the current depends on hydro-elec operations and any flood level conditions in the lake above. going against the current is much easier, can hold position with the throttle(s). some of the currents around here would make reversing into it dicey at best.

how fast does the current get?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Armed with this new information, what would you all decide?

Thanks again!
Doug

It's hard for me to imagine river current playing a significant role in a marina, but if it does in your river, I would take the one with the current against you for two reasons: 1) I wouldn't say you have more control when the current is against you, but I will agree that it's easier to achieve the same level of control (esp. with singles) and 2) The current will keep your boat off the dock instead of always in your fenders.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First of all-dsmithpdx--what size boat are you trying to dock???a small 16-17' boat is a lot easier to dock than a single engine 26ish---my opinion still is try both docks under normal conditions and check it out- I have learned that in a river current--- it's way different than tides---you have way better control AGAINST the current---go try and see what works better for you--Steve

dsmithpdx

Cadet

It's a 23' cuddy cabin with a Volvo Penta Duoprop (dual counter-rotating props on a single shaft).

Thanks,
Doug

eastern27

Seaman

He posted 23' Cuddy. Since your not a tidal river backing into the current is your best bet. Were I am we can have 2-4 knots each way so it dosen't matter. I agree with the others though, put the boat in the water and check out the accomodations see what your comfortable with.

dsmithpdx

Cadet

I should give everyone an update: last weekend, I went to the marina and tried both sides. Without a doubt, going into the slip AGAINST the current was MUCH easier. I tried the slip going with the current (but with more room to maneuver), and I felt like I had little to no control.

We took the slip going against the current with less room. :)

Thanks again for all of the help!

Doug