What is this gritty stuff in my cylinder head cover? PIX NOW!!

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone. I have a 1973 135hp Evinrude.<br /><br />I took the cylinder heads off the other day to inspect the cylinders, and ordered new gaskets to put them back together with. In the process of taking the cylinder head off, I also took off the cylinder head cover. I noticed that this gasket was damaged on one edge so I ordered a replacement for it as well.<br /><br />When I actually removed this gasket from the cylinder head cover (it seemed to be glued on), I noticed there was this gritty stuff behind it, and also white liquid that looks like runny elmers glue. The gritty stuff acts like slightly wet cement. What is it? Why is it there? Should I remove/replace it before putting the new gasket on? I've never seen anything like this. There appears to be a lot of this gritty stuff filling in the "empty spaces".<br /><br />Hope someone can shed some light on this mystery! Please!<br /><br />Ted

boatin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What is this gritty stuff in my cylinder head cover? PIX NOW!!

What color is the "gritty stuff" ?<br />Could this be carbon? How bout it folks?

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's alternately light and dark gray. It looks like it was evenly spread out but kind of worked it's way down over time (like human anatomy?)<br /><br />Above the grit was this watery white liquid. Very strange!

boatin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Verrrry interesting.<br />I hope someone else can shed some light on this.<br />Id like to know also..........sorry, dont know

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, thank's for posting anyway! I sure seems like it was put there by someone, although I can't imagine why! I think the gaskets are original too :confused:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ted...sounds like corrosion to me. Clean it out and replace the gaskets. Use a good gasket sealer for the head cover gaskets....but not Forma-Gasket. Sometimes this corrosion will lay like.....what?.....gritty stuff. Clean it out and put her back together. Make sure the areas around the cylinders are clean also and the deflectors are in good shape.<br /><br />Jim

oscar boy

Seaman Apprentice

Ted I just rebuilt a v 4 crossflow and found the same thing in it. It was sand colored and very fine about like baking power. It did not look like corrosion.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

I surely wasn't expecting to see that stuff when I removed the seal! I'll pick up some gasket sealer too, thanks for the tip Jim. The deflectors are in good shape, must have been replaced before.<br /><br />I'll go see if I can get it cleaned up!<br /><br />Ted

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering. How could it become corroded that bad? I'll post a photo in a bit so you can see what it looks like.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't know what kind of water you boat in Ted...but oscar could be right. Sand can build up in there and just lay. Crazy I know....but it can happen. Again.....on the corrosion aspect, do you lay up for winter or do you boat year round? Even in fresh water, corrosion can have that sort of effect on an outboard. And your's being a 73', who knows how long it's been since anyone has had the head and head cover off?

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the pix! Have a look and let me know what you think!<br /><br /> http://www.youngdisciple.com/Ebay/Ted's/PICT0078.jpg <br /><br /> http://www.youngdisciple.com/Ebay/Ted's/PICT0080.jpg <br /><br />I've only been in fresh water with it, but I don't know what life it had before!

ob

Admiral

Someone may have packed those voids with grease at one time when it was installed in an attempt to inhibit corrosion.That mixed with oxidized metal is what it looks like.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It could well be just lime deposit's, about what a water heater look's like inside.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Allright! I feel better now! I guess I'll just clean it up and put the new gasket in. Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Ted

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just normal everyday sand and corrosion thats in all saltwater motors that have divorced the flushette. Nothing unusual at all.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like aluminum hydroxide, aluminum oxide, aluminum carbonate, algae, water. Otherwise known as corrosion and crud from the water. For a 1973 it doesn't seem that odd.<br /><br />JimD<br />hydrogeologist