59 Johnson 35hp oil fual ratio

jaywalla

Cadet
I have a 1959 Johnson 35hp. I was wondering what kind of oil to fuel ratio i should be using on this motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 59 Johnson 35hp oil fual ratio

24:1 is one quart of TC-W3 rated oil to a 6 gallon tank of 87 octane regular, Jay.

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't want to open another post so can you guys tell me what ratio is for my 1960 Johnson 40hp? on the original gas can said mix 50:1 but I am not sure if this is the case they are so many conflicting posts.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

My main concern has been if it is a roller bearing engine. My son, and I have two 18HP engines, a 57, and 58, these are roller bearing engines including the wrist pin. We have been running these on the local river for 6, or 7 years now. We use 50-1, and BRP carbon guard per directions. These engines under the exhaust cover look like the day a put them together, and they get run alot.

wbeaton

Commander

I don't want to open another post so can you guys tell me what ratio is for my 1960 Johnson 40hp? on the original gas can said mix 50:1 but I am not sure if this is the case they are so many conflicting posts.

Officially its 24:1.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

wbeaton: When the 50-1 ratio was brought into use in 63, 0r 64, there were a lot of guestions' about the older engines'. The Evinrude dealer I worked for at that time called the factory on this. He was told the roller bearing engines' could use the 50-1 ratio, using the 50-1 oils' available at that time. There was later a service bulletin regarding this, but a can't find it in my collection. Maybe Joe Reeves, or Dhadley could shed some light on this, or any of the older mechanics'.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

For the OMC motors in the 60 to 64 era, Chinewalker states, as I have also been under the assumption, that the 18hp and up can run at 40:1, as they are mostly jeweled motors at this point. Anything smaller run it at 24:1. Then of course, anything pre 1960 regardless of hp to run at 24:1. Personally, I would probably follow the manuafacturers reccomendations of running any OMC outboard 1964 and older at 24:1. I would also probably run them with XD50 and Carbon Guard though.

wbeaton

Commander

Yup. I've read all those posts and arguments as well as my service manuals. I'm not going to argue that 50:1 isn't ok because it probably is, however the official word from OMC is 24:1.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I'm not going to argue the point, I know the offcial ratio was 24-1, it say's so right in my official 1964 OMC service manual. The manual is paper by the way, not a stone tablet.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Stick the manufacturers recommendations, especially when advising/answering a new person's questions on this. It's okay to run your motors at any ratio you want and feel comfortable/content in doing so, but always advise a newbie to stick to the manufacturers specs. I'd sure hate to advise anything else and then find out they cratered the motor cause they didn't know what kind of bearings/bushings it had to begin with.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have no wish to cause a problem. People come to this forum looking for advise based on our experience, and know how. The information I passed on is the information I received by the people building these engines' back in those years, and my passing it on make's it second hand. When a untrained person ask's how to tear their engine apart, aren't they doing something the manufacture would not advise. There are some that come to this forum that really should'nt attempt to take apart anything, so how do we deal with those knowing very well they may harm their engine, and in some case's themselves. All I can say is to take my information, and use it as it applies to your situation. As for being careful how I would advise those asking help, I believe I have advised caution more than once.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The official word when OMC came out with their 50:1 oil was that it could be used in some older engines at 50:1 ratio. But ONLY if THEIR oil was used. Otherwise it was still 24:1.

Now, having said that, their oil has been changed several times since then. Even the TC-W was changed to TCW-II, to TCW-3. Do you know what's in your oil?

The 35 was all roller bearings. But if I tell you that it is OK to run 50:1, and it destructs, you will blame me--whether the oil had anything to do with it or not. So, I don't make reccommendations.

JB

Whatever I do, whatever risks I take are my own risks.

I will not tell about them and I will not condone or recommend anyone else doing anything other than the maker's recommendations in print.

That, to me, means any OMC product made before 1964 gets 24:1.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Do you want me, or others,' to apply this rule to mean any innovative tool or method not in the original factory service, or owners' manual. I really don't know if I can back up every thing I might say with print. I think the factory starts right out saying, If you tamper with your engine, you void the warranty. Seems that puts us in trouble right off the bat.

JB

"In print" does not mean "in the original Service Manual", RJ. It means in print, up to the present time.

Hearsay does not qualify.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have a pair of 1958 Evinrude Bigtwins (35hp) that have been run on 50:1 for hundreds of hours. The only oil that I use in any of my outboards is Pennzoil Premium Plus 2-Stroke Synthetic. These motors have shown no sign of problem using the Pennzoil at this ratio.

Additionally, when I first refubished the motors and began to use them, I asked my local OMC dealer, with whom I have been doing business for years, if this brand and mix was suitable. His reply was that it is fine and, given that he has been tearing OMC motors apart and fixing them for 30 years, I'll take his word for it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Whatever I do, whatever risks I take are my own risks.

I will not tell about them and I will not condone or recommend anyone else doing anything other than the maker's recommendations in print.

That, to me, means any OMC product made before 1964 gets 24:1.

You want print? Here's print. Straight from the (Sea) Horse's mouth. It plainly says they reccommend 50:1 in motors listed at 24:1 --ONLY if Johnson 50:1 lubricant is used. Remember that was back then and it was TC-W oil. I was told that oil had synthetic in it. That part, I can't prove.

Only passing on what Johnson said in 1973. I am not making a personal reccommendation for reasons stated above. And besides, I use 24:1 in my 1959.

Attachments

• 1973 Johnson Fuel Mix Chart 3.jpg
    1973 Johnson Fuel Mix Chart 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0

JB

If that is what OMC said, I consider it in print, F R. What I object to is people using anecdotal and hearsay evidence to advise newcomers.

Many of us get away with bending what makers tell us in print with great success. If we tell about it it makes us seem very knowledgable, as I am sure most of us are, but it also makes us morally liable for consequences if someone else tries it and has bad outcomes.

I stick to my position: If the maker says it is okay in print then it is okay. Anything beyond that the user does it at his own risk.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

As I said, one of the first things the maker says, take to an authorized dealer. Where does that put us, and our advice to a newcomer. Improper lube can certainly destroy an engine, but so can inexperienced hands. So if the manufacture recommends not tampering with your engine, and in some cases void's your warranty if you do, and this is in writing by the way, how do you suggest we respond to a newcomers questions. As a mechanic, and a machinist, many of my answers are based on my own exsperience, as well as a fair knowledge of my craft. I started working on OMC engines in the early 60's, and I owned them as a kid before that, I have a fair idea how they work.