how to start a 1949 2.5 johnson seahorse

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to start this motor. do you have any tips on how to start this motor.

thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to start a 1949 2.5 johnson seahorse

Assuming it is going to run, that is has spark, compression, and fuel, here's the deal on that motor:
If anybody has messed with the slow speed needle on the front of the crankcase, open it 5/8 of a turn from lightly seated position. Open the high speed adjustment wheel on top of the gas tank about a turn or so from lightly seated. Open the tank fuel petcock and the vent in the gas cap. Press down on the high speed adj wheel several times...that operates the primer. You should hear gas squirt into the idle port on front of the crankcase as you prime. Make sure you aren't going to run over something (there's no shift or neutral). Put the speed control lever on start position. Pull the rope. It should start right up. If it doesn't start in two or three pulls, stop pulling and look to see what you aren't doing right. Once it starts, you may have to prime it another stroke or more to keep it running if it wants to die. You may also have to turn it a bit more richer for the same reason. Once you get it to keep running, move the speed control on "fast" and adjust the high speed knob clockwise till it starts to falter or slow down, then turn back counter-clockwise till it smooths out and runs at full power. Slow down to below the start position and very carefully adjust the slow speed needle on the front of the crankcase for best idle. It is VERY sensetive, so easy does it. Just barely turning it makes all the difference in the world. You may have to go through both adjustments several times to get it just right.

Oh, I neglected to mention way back up there someplace, when it starts, check to make sure the water pump is working.

Remember, these old motors had personality. They weren't put-gas-in-and-go. You had to have a relationship with them and tinker to get them just right. That is what makes us idiots collect and restore them.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Remember, these old motors had personality. They weren't put-gas-in-and-go. You had to have a relationship with them and tinker to get them just right. That is what makes us idiots collect and restore them.

Well said.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

But FR, I have relationships with ALL my outboards! Not just the finicky ones!