When to replace rope?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I keep reading about how if a tow rope breaks while under way it can snap back at the boat. So how do I know when it's time to replace a ski rope? A tube rope? I use each one about 3 days each season...

Dave

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: When to replace rope?

A lot depends on how you store it. If it's stored well, and out of the elements then there's no reason you couldn't go 5-10 years. As little as you use it, probably even longer.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep my ropes under the seat, so I think I'm safe.

Thanks,

Dave

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the above, storage is the key you don't want to leave them in the sun as the uv will eat them pretty quick. You also don't want them to mildew if left in a cool damp place. At only three times per year you should get MANY years of service out of a decent rope. Also it's not so much the rope you are worried about coming back but the handle. I am a hardcore slalom skier and a few times have gotten into a corner too deep and tried to hang on and pull it out, but sometimes the pull is just too great and it comes out of your hands and is like a rocket headed straight back to the boat. Generally doesn't make it quite that far but it can and I have seen it happen. I knocked over a camera on a tripod one time when we were doing photos on lake powell early morning total glass, the rope shot back into the boat and down went the camera. Just keep an eye on them as you are coiling back up and look for freyed areas..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it starts to fray replace it. keep out of sun when stored.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I learned the hard way on this. During the first trip of my second season of boating I pulled out the rope that was used the prior year. The rope looked bad, and was starting to flake apart. Since it was the first run of the new season, we decided to use the rope. I was driving, and my BIL was trying to get up on a slalom. Shortly after hammering the throttle to pull my BIL up, the rope snapped near the handle. My BIL's fist recoiled into his own chest. Both his fist and his chest were really sore after this. His PFD absorbed a lot of the energy, and prevented a more severe injury. Looking back, we were lucky that his fist recoiled into his chest, and not into his face. He could have been knocked out cold on the water. I am strong, but I don't want to try dragging a 190 pound unconscious man into my boat. We were lucky, and I resolved after this incident that I would only use ropes that appeared to be in perfect condition.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good thread! While home over the holidays I pulled one of my old ropes out of my folks attic. I thought I was going to use it as a hydroslide rope as it has sections. Not now -- after reading this it's going in the trash.

BF

Lieutenant

When I was my late teens, a friend of mine WAS knocked unconscious when the rope broke during a deep water slalom start. The end of the handle hit him right above the eye. I distinctly remember his stunned blank look (still holding the handle), then his eyes rolling back into his head, then he rolled to the side a bit (face in water). He was dragged into the boat within seconds, and then spent some time on the floor sputtering as he came to.

Yup, could've been worse.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I guess it's time to replace at least my ski rope. Better safe than sorry, and they're not all THAT expensive! :)

Dave

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I guess it's time to replace at least my ski rope. Better safe than sorry, and they're not all THAT expensive! :)

Dave

Yep...looks like I will buying new ski and tube ropes this year.

wormz

Seaman

ropes are cheap enough and easily availible....better safe than sorry! any frays are bad, one leads to two and so on.
age seems to wear more than use as i use to ski often. i took two seasons off and broke a rope after taking it from storage. as wheni skied three-four times a week, rope lasted two years also.
Why risk a hard turn with the shore aproaching or a pilon in the path if it breaks! yowsers.