Online source for stripe remover disc?

erikgreen

Captain
Hey all -

I found a solution in an old thread here for removing old pinstripes that involved use of a rubber disc that fits in a drill to abrade them away.

Here's the thread link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193525&highlight=stripe+removal

The old thread said the disc can be found at "any auto parts store". Except the ones around me, apparently.

Anyone have an online source for one of these? Heat gun and a plastic scraper are gonna take a looooong time.

Thanks,
Erik

defcon5

Recruit
Re: Online source for stripe remover disc?

I got a coulpe when I used to work at a place called Fastenal. There in just about every town. They are made by 3m. Just like what you said mount to a drill.

Roman

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

The stripe remover is mfg. by 3M under their Scotch Brite name. Their part # is 07517. Also called a LASR ( large area stripe remover). That makes sense.
Just can't tell you where to find them in your area but possibly that number will help you in your search. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. :(

D

DJ

Look in your Yellow Pages for auto paint supplies. They'll have it.

degree

Seaman

Hey all -

I found a solution in an old thread here for removing old pinstripes that involved use of a rubber disc that fits in a drill to abrade them away.

Here's the thread link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193525&highlight=stripe+removal

The old thread said the disc can be found at "any auto parts store". Except the ones around me, apparently.

Anyone have an online source for one of these? Heat gun and a plastic scraper are gonna take a looooong time.

Thanks,
Erik
It's not available at an auto parts store, but a body shop/paint supply store. It isn't too expensive and will last for some time. It is also call an 'eraser wheel'. The article in which I learned of this also states that, to remove the leftover adhesive, you should use lacquer thinner as acetone stains the gelcoat. I used this set-up to remove the name from my boat and it worked just fine! Get the lacquer thinner when you pick up the eraser wheel and be sure to ask them for a body filler squeegee--it helps pick up the edges of the vinyl.

erikgreen

Captain

I found one at the local red rooster... $35. Works like magic, though.

It's abrading away fast... looks like I'm going to need 2 to do the whole boat.

Erik