johnson 6 hp

sumpoocie

Recruit
I just recently acquired a johnson 6 hp for my 12 foot aluminum i got it running but i could not see any water coming out the side for cooling, i don't even see where the water would come out except for maybe a small exhaust port in the main body, model 3 cd24s serial #j2819779 so i attempted to take off the lower unit to change the impeller but i can only get it to move about 1.5 inches i tried to loosen up the bolt inside for the gear shift but it did not help, where is the water outlet located and how do i drop the lower unit, i cannot seem to find any linkage to diconnect the gear shift lever.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: johnson 6 hp

Tell ya Poocie, ya need a manual before ya go fart*in' around with stuff ya don't know nuthin' about. Manual <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You can't just loosen the bolt to pull the shift rod apart - you have to remove the bolt in the coupler. As for water exit - it comes out the exhaust relief (thumb sized hole midway up the rear of the leg) and the with the exhaust.<br /><br />As Hooty notes - get a manual before going any further...<br />- Scott

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup, Sumpoocie.<br /><br />You need a manual.<br /><br />Your engine is a 1967.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sumpoocie

Recruit

Sorry about the name, everything else was taken<br />i was hoping to get by without the hassle of finding and buying a manual, do i need to remove linkage up at the shift lever or just down where the lower unit seperates? There is no pins or bolts or anything up at the shift lever, there is just a small nipple with a hole in the center.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One of our members used to use a tag line that read something like:<br /><br />"Anyone who works on an outboard without a Manual has a fool for a mechanic."<br /><br />Trust us, Sumpoocie. The best and most experienced wrenches always use a manual when working on an unfamiliar engine.<br /><br />Here is a no hassle way to buy a manual:<br /><br /> http://www.outboardrepairs.com/manuals/ <br /><br />Good luck. :)