1999 optimax 200 check engine and horn

Crazy Calcutta

Recruit
I am new to this forum but have been researching it for same problems as mine with only a couple that were close. So if anyone could help it would be appreciated. My problem started a couple of weeks ago with my check engine light coming on and intermitant beep. When I intially put my boat in the water no alarm after intial system check. when in nuetral and running still no alarm. when I put it in gear, about 5 minutes later check engine and intermitant beep go on. When put back into nuetral all clears no problem. back in gear starts again but if i go from nuetral and put in gear then wot no problems. Alarm only sounds if you put it in gear and dont go wot. Once I go wot with no alarm and return to low rpm still no alarm for the rest of the day. Its only the initial time. This alarm doesnt sound when out of the water even when running while flushing. I had a fuel light come on one day which meant water in fuel. I drained both the water seperator and vst filter and light went off but I never changed out the filters. Last time i went out again the alarm light and beep started, once i put it in nuetral and cleared alarms then went wot didnt have any problems. went 30+ miles no alarms. on way back still no alarms but motor bogged down only allowing me to go up to 3000 rpm's still with no alarms. it was a little eratating coming back 30+ miles at 3000 rpm's i might ad :). Since then I have changed filters but have yet to take it out and see if this solved the bogging problem. Also, I checked the oil tank on the motor and it was alittle low about 1 1/2 from very top so i ran motor with cap off to fill, filled ok. larger tank is full also. thought about taking boat out again to see if alarm sounds after all i've done, dont want to spend $ to have ddt put on if not necessary, but very hesitant. Any help would be great.:D

flabum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 optimax 200 check engine and horn

Your best bet is to take it to a dealer and let him scan it for trouble codes.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You cannot drain all the water out of a 'paper' element filter.

The filter has been saturated with water, reducing the fuel flow.

Replace the filter.

j_martin

Admiral

Try it out, if the alarms persist, it's time to get it scanned.

hope it helps
John

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Merc engine mounted oil tanks are notorious for having the magnets (that work in conjunction with the sender) let loose and cause false alarms...I looked up the oil tank and it's only $48.52...the dealer will charge you more than that to run a DDT scan and if it is the oil tank- the DDT won't tell you that-only the fact that the alarm was sent to the computer...I'd go for the oil tank...we've got a 2005-115 Opti in the shop right now-needs oil tank :cool:

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Merc engine mounted oil tanks are notorious for having the magnets (that work in conjunction with the sender) let loose and cause false alarms...I looked up the oil tank and it's only $48.52...the dealer will charge you more than that to run a DDT scan and if it is the oil tank- the DDT won't tell you that-only the fact that the alarm was sent to the computer...I'd go for the oil tank...we've got a 2005-115 Opti in the shop right now-needs oil tank :cool:

We have also had several of the 200 and 225 motors come thru with a loose oil injection pump harness connectors, faulty temp senders and a host of ther problems. Best to scan it first than throw parts on it.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best to scan it first than throw parts on it.
shop labor rate = $90/hour....tank = $49 and 2 bolts to remove...hey-it's only money :cool:

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Best to scan it first than throw parts on it.
shop labor rate = $90/hour....tank = $49 and 2 bolts to remove...hey-it's only money :cool:

then if it's not the tank, he spent $49 + tax on a part he didn't need and still have the horn blowing.

wtxmale

Seaman Apprentice

disconect wire under fuel/water seperater,,,change 40psi check valve on return fuel line between fuel rail and vst...that will stop the bogging...wire will cut out the beeping,,change fuel/seperater asap then reconnect wire