Ignition problem?

RussH11

Recruit
I am getting intermitting ignition on a 1987 mercruiser/sea ray.(thunderbolt ignition)I have tested the coil and am getting a good read off of a test light.Although i am getting a hot light on both sides of the coil.I also tried swapping out the coil w/ a msd coil with no help.I also tried putting on a froiedns ignitiom module(box on the side of the manifold)also with no help.Only other thing i can think to do is maybe put on a ohm distributor and bypass it all?When it did start it ran very rough and would just choke it self out.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition problem?

Welcome to iboats Russ
It's going to take a lot more information than that, did you read the first post at the top of this forum?
Need model of your engine better yet (for some of us) would be the engine serial number. Things like engine size, carbed, efi, what drive, etc. will all come in handy when trying to find a problem.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Have you checked the condition of the shift cut-out switch? If that's 'leaking' then you'll get intermittent ignition problems. The easiest way to check it would be to disconnect the wire that runs from the coil to the switch, but don't use the boat in this condition, as you could screw up the gears. That's what the switch is for. Just run it on the flushers in neutral.

Location of the switch is on the shift plate, that's where the shift cable from the control box ends and the shift cable to the leg starts. There's a switch with an arm on it. I've seen a few go over the years. The one on my engine is located right under the end of the engine cover and if I was in heavy seas and taking a bit of spray the water would drop straight onto it. I've since modified the cover to stop that. Not very nice being in 3 metre (10 foot) seas with a dead engine!

Chris..............

RussH11

Recruit

Sorry i didnt go into enough detail.It is a 1987 Sea Ray Monaco I/O v-8 w/ a 4 barrel carb.I believe its a quadrajet.Its a alpha 1 265 outdrive.I dont have the serial number handy but will get it.Thanks

achris

Sorry i didnt go into enough detail.It is a 1987 Sea Ray Monaco I/O v-8 w/ a 4 barrel carb.I believe its a quadrajet.Its a alpha 1 265 outdrive.I dont have the serial number handy but will get it.Thanks

1987 Searay Monaco is a description of the boat, not the engine. It really doesn't matter if the engine's in a ferry. And the year of the boat doesn't tell us the year of the engine, or the manufacturer for that matter. (look at my signature).

?????????? What size engine? 305, 350, 454.....
?????????? 265 drive?????? Are we talking about a Mercruiser or a Volvo?

Chris..........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I believe alpha is mercruiser.

Yes, and I think Chris also knows that. But there isn't a 265 Alpha drive that I have ever heard of.
It's also painfully hard to get any kind of information as to what this engine actually is. Other than an unknown type of V8 with some sort of Thunderbolt ignition.

No possible way to give any useful information if you don't know what you're working on to start with.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I like to needle chris he has a good sense of humor. Your right don i have learned and try to give any and all info i have to the forum in order to get accurate help. lord knows i need help.I dont know what a 265 is either maybe he's referring to 265hp eng? Wonder if he has points? sounds like ignition breakdown with like a voltage change where the plugs are carboned. hmm?

achris

I like to needle chris he has a good sense of humor.

Okayyyyyy

starsnstripers said:
Your right don i have learned and try to give any and all info i have to the forum in order to get accurate help. lord knows i need help.I dont know what a 265 is either maybe he's referring to 265hp eng?

Mercruiser never made a 265hp, or anything with a model number of '265'.

starsnstripers said:
Wonder if he has points? sounds like ignition breakdown with like a voltage change where the plugs are carboned. hmm?

Good suggestion!!! Only he has Thunderbolt ignition. Didn't say if it was Thunderbolt IV or V. Shame really... Sounds like an interesting problem, or could be if we knew more about it..... :D:D:D

Chris (the needled one)..............