Johnson 6HP-Clean crud in gearcase?

JANDREWB

Cadet
Just pulled the gear case/ from LU to replace impeller on Johnson 6 HP (CD-24). Used outboard I recently bought and gearcase oil was drained for shipment. Noticed a noticeable amount of crud in the gear case unit though the fill hole and looking in from the the top. If there are no leaks should it still be cleaned? Can it be cleaned without the rebuild- ie. w/ a parts cleaner of sorts? Should it be rebuilt? Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 6HP-Clean crud in gearcase?

the way i clean mine is with mineral sprits or diesel fuel. put it in, give the shaft a couple of turns, let it sit. the couple of more turns, then drain.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Or kerosene. Make sure any of these is well drained though. It would be wise to fill with oil, run it under a light load or no load for a minute or two then drain and refill again just to get rid of anything remaining. You could (and in fact I would) use an engine oil for this flush.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

the way i clean mine is with mineral sprits or diesel fuel. put it in, give the shaft a couple of turns, let it sit. the couple of more turns, then drain.

With such a light lower unit, you can give it a shake or two also.