Chrysler 105 where to begin?

statzk

Cadet
I just got a motor- a Chrysler 105 that I know nothing about other than I was told that it ran 5 years ago last time it was used. Owner did not know if it had been winterized or anything (was in storage when he got it, he never used it).

Price was right as it was free... I don't know what year it is or anything. I am going to pull the serial number soon, gotta take the cover off of it when the weather gets nice (motor is on a boat I intend on junking, I only wanted the motor and trailer, if I can get the motor to run without too much expense or fuss). The 60HP on my boats works fine but my boat is rated to 110 HP max, so a 105 would be great.

Thanks!

~K

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 105 where to begin?

So you now have an engine about which you know nothing except it has been sitting for five years. That's ok. At this point just assume that nothing is as it should be and take it from there.

First thing, buy a Clymers manual. While you are waiting for the manual, build a stand for the engine or test it on the boat to which it is now attached.--don't mount it on your boat until several basic tests show it is worth the time. And get some help with it. That engine weighs around 275.

Assume the engine is dry from sitting. Pull the plugs and squirt about a teaspoonfull of TCW-3 oil in each cylinder. Crank over the flywheel a couple of times by hand to distribute the oil in the cylinders. Now, hook it up to a battery and using the starter to crank it, take compression readings of each cylinder. While you are cranking, squirt a little oil into each carb to lubricate the crankshaft and internal bearings.

If compression is poor you must now decide if you want to repair the engine. Poor compression would be less than about 90 psi on all cylinders, or one cylinder way less than the others--say 20 psi-- or one or more cylinders showing 0 psi.

If compression is good,then do all standard maintenance: install new plugs (L20V), replace fuel pump diaphragm, replace water pump impeller, take apart and clean carbs, check timing, and check fuel mixture on carbs. The Clymers will tell you how to do all these things. Check to see that you have spark on all four cylinders.

Once all this is done, if it is on a stand, hook it up to the boat, connect all electrical, and hook it up to a water supply. Prime the carbs and try to start it. It may be a little difficult to start because of all the oil you put into it, BUT --If it starts and runs, well, there you are! If not, you need to do more troubleshooting. Fuel mix is 50 to 1.

By the way, every engine ever offered for sale ALWAYS "ran last time it was used." Yeah! Then it stopped running and was put in the garage. In your case, even if you got a big piece of scrap aluminum, you are still ahead.