Retro Look for your Motors!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Just sharing a bit of something that I have been figuring out for awhile...

As many of you know, I recently rebuilt a 1976 Starcraft American 18-footer, as well as a 1984 Johnson 90hp to power it. Being a bit of a purist when it comes to things "matching", but realizing that the 1984 motor has quite a few refinements over a 1976 motor, I compromised and found a 1976 cowling for it.

Nice thing about Johnsons and Evinrudes is that the cowls for most of their "families" of motors will interchange with little or no modification across many years. For instance, Evinrude started using the angular styled cowlings along about 1969 on the V4s and used that same footprint through the 1990s when the crossflow V4s were finally phased out.

Johnson's first angular cowlings also came out in 1969, but used a different footprint from Evinrude's until 1974 when they began using the same footprint. So, Johnson cowlings will interchange from 1969 to 1973, and then again from 1973 to the late 1990s within the crossflow V4 family.

The 3-cylinder models also use the same footprint and latch arrangement through most of their run from 1968 on up into the 1990s. One of my future projects involves taking a 1976 Johnson "Mean Machine" orange Stinger cowling and dropping it on a painted-to-match late model Johnrude 70hp - modern underpinnings with the classic look!

Lots of marinas have these old cowlings stacked in back sheds, basements, attics, etc. and are only too happy to have someone take one or three. If you have a vintage boat with a late model motor and want to make the motor look the part, experiment a bit and see what happens!

- Scott

Attachments

• SC18_EngineMounted_0504.jpg
    SC18_EngineMounted_0504.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SC18_Johnson85Cowling_0697.jpg
    SC18_Johnson85Cowling_0697.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Retro Look for your Motors!

For Mercurys, much of the same modularity follows them as well. For instance, the wrap-around & face from a 1968 50hp will fit a 1985 50hp. Same for the big 2-cylinder models, as the 35hp cowls & face from a 1968 35hp will fit the 40hp models from the 1970s. They changed the design of the faces in the late 1970s in how it attached (from a top latch to a bottom latch) but a little ingenuity might overcome that. The 4-cylinder 75/80/85hp models also share a lot of cowling/face plate interchangeability, as do the 99-cube inline 6s.

Have fun!

- Scott

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Want a really cool look..... take all the paint off the aluminum parts, wet sand ans polish:

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 0

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Want a really cool look..... take all the paint off the aluminum parts, wet sand ans polish:
now that looks good, I like that, may have to try that with mine

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

now that looks good, I like that, may have to try that with mine

Sure beats the paint flaking or scrping off due to "normal" use in shallow water. Just re-polish it once a month. I used Flitz

Mr.Stuart

Sure beats the paint flaking or scrping off due to "normal" use in shallow water. Just re-polish it once a month. I used Flitz
your giving me more ideas, and ideas might not be such a good thing for me right now, I got way to much to do with out adding to my current list of projec ....... you know, that old 9.9 would sure look good if it was polished aluminu ....ok, I have to shake that thought .... I got enough to polish already!

now if I understand chinewalker correctly, I might be able to take a late 60's or early 70's cowling and put it on my 89' 9.9? I think I've seen restoration decals for those older 9.9 or 9.5's on ebay. I think that would look kind of cool on that old 70-ish boat I'm redoing

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Mr. Stuart,
Your 9.9s design traces back to 1974, and yes you can drop a 1974 cowling onto your 1989 motor. Seems to me I recall that you might have to trim something from the recess of the hand-grip area to clear the top of the cylinder head, though. Or maybe it was the other way around. It's possible I'm thinking of a different swap, too...
- Scott

Bondo

Staff member

Lots of marinas have these old cowlings stacked in back sheds, basements, attics, etc. and are only too happy to have someone take one or three.

Ayuh,........

Especially Dwayne Chaulk.........
I don't think the Chaulk's have thrown away Anything in the history of that Marina,.....
I'm sure that being their Neighbor must be an advantage to you,.....
Personally,....... Whenever I've tried to buy something off Chaulk's back lot,......
Dwayne seems to think it's Gold Plated.......
As much as I Really Like,+ Respect Dwayne,...... I can't seem to be able to do much business with him,.......

Mr.Stuart

Mr. Stuart,
Your 9.9s design traces back to 1974, and yes you can drop a 1974 cowling onto your 1989 motor. Seems to me I recall that you might have to trim something from the recess of the hand-grip area to clear the top of the cylinder head, though. Or maybe it was the other way around. It's possible I'm thinking of a different swap, too...
- Scott
I think I might know where I can get an early 70's cowl for it to, that would be kind of a cool addition to this boat I'm working on