Any recommendation for a good floating key chain?

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking online for a good floating key chain. I like the small "keytainers" since they are made out of flexible vinyl and wont make noise when hitting the console. I like the storage idea since it doesn't make them bigger than the cheap foam ones. The only problem is I haven't found them online anywhere other then the print shops where the minimum order is 300 units.

Any other ones you guys have and would like to suggest?

This is the style I like so far. You can remove the top to place small items in it.
0-keychains-floating-style44keytainer_sm.jpg

I have seen this "Self-Inflating Key Buoy" but is only good for one time use.
1520530c_1.gif

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Any recommendation for a good floating key chain?

I like the small "keytainers" since they are made out of flexible vinyl and wont make noise when hitting the console.
that's what i like too. one key, one floaty thing....

IMG_1851.jpg

check out your local marina or boat dealer. ya could frequent the boat shows that are probably just around the corner. might get a free one there advertiseing someone elses kinda boat...:) mine came free with my boat. has the dealers name on it........

i still have a spare key onboard too......;)

rndn

Commander

Any boat dealer has these. They usually have the dealers name on them and I have had several give them to me. Free advertising. Boat shows as mentioned are also a great place to get these. Make sure you don't put many keys on it or it won't float.

sam7684

Cadet

Here ya go!

Last edited by a moderator:

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Boat dealers at our area's annual Home Show gave 'em out. As it happened, my wife and I each picked up a couple of different colors. Since we usually put registration and insurance stuff in it, I thought I'd test them first, and put 'em all in a bowl of water overnight. While they still floated, all took on some water and blurred the printing on a slip of paper I rolled into them.

So we still use something similar the marina gave to the original owner, only it's hard plastic with a tight-fitting cover.

I'm sure you can find what you want at any good boat dealer or boat show. As others have said, you might even get it free.

204 Escape

Ensign

The boat show idea is gold. As well, as boat dealerships, and on occasion, I've seen key floaters at Wally-World

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes I go fishing early morning or late night in total darkness, I was thinking of rigging my boat key onto a lighted fishing bobber. I'd shut it off during the day to save battery power and turn it on at night. It would also help me identify where my steering console's at.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Sometimes I go fishing early morning or late night in total darkness, I was thinking of rigging my boat key onto a lighted fishing bobber. I'd shut it off during the day to save battery power and turn it on at night. It would also help me identify where my steering console's at.

Not a bad idea ;). I have one of them lighted fishing bobbers myself, but I would want one to go fishing at night with also so I guess I'll half to buy another. I caught a many of crappie with the bobbers at night. I wonder if they have any glow in the dark style floats for the key chain.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the ideas. Boat show it is since I have given up on my dealer. If nothing is available then I'll continue looking online for the mini keytainer or better. If not I'll buy the one in the link provided. It's not fully water proof as mentioned but I prefer it than the hard plastic below.

0-keychains-floating-floatingkeychainbkf1_sm.jpg

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a bad idea ;). I have one of them lighted fishing bobbers myself, but I would want one to go fishing at night with also so I guess I'll half to buy another. I caught a many of crappie with the bobbers at night. I wonder if they have any glow in the dark style floats for the key chain.

There is always this one with a LED for you fishing guys.

"TRIO LED FLOATING KEY CHAIN Uniquely styled LED light powered by 3 batteries. Storage compartment. Adequate flotation for multiple keys. Waterproof design with o-ring seals."
44454.jpg

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

There is always this one with a LED for you fishing guys.

"TRIO LED FLOATING KEY CHAIN Uniquely styled LED light powered by 3 batteries. Storage compartment. Adequate flotation for multiple keys. Waterproof design with o-ring seals."
44454.jpg

That's nice...Just googled it and it's fairly inexpensive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

While you couldn't put your paper work in it,........

A small block of Wood will keep keys afloat......................

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pondering this thread with ignition keys and floats. As easy as the access is on boats electronics why do they even bother with ignition keys, that sink, get lost or forgotten. Why not just an unmarked off/on/momentary toggle switch, problems solved. Thieves will be looking for the key...
My 6" float holds the registration papers, works but too cumbersome in size.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

As easy as the access is on boats electronics why do they even bother with ignition keys, that sink, get lost or forgotten. Why not just an unmarked off/on/momentary toggle switch, problems solved. Thieves will be looking for the key...
[/QUOTE]

nova II ive wondered bout that too. just hide the switch but leave the key iginition there to confuse theives

and PHAT. look in stupid human tricks about "keys that dont float" some good stories there to get you thinking.

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nova II 260 has the right idea , but floating key rings i've never taken my keys off the ignition switch,my registration wouldnt fit in a snap-off type simply because its laminated . dont understand why someone wants to take their keys for a swim leave them in the boat ignition and there no reason for them to wind up in the water...

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I removed my key once. The first time I got the boat on the lake. Then I found out the key had been in the ignition for so long it was kinda stuck in there. After I got it out I almost could not get it back in. Thankfully with enough wiggling I got it back in and got to shore. A little WD 40 and it fits much easier now. Still a little tough to do though.

It came with a floating key ring on it. Says something about some boat dealer in CA. How a 1973 boat got from it's manufacture in northern MN to CA, then to central IA , then to western IA, then to southern MN where I am is a mystery.

bigbenrusky

Seaman Apprentice

Pondering this thread with ignition keys and floats. As easy as the access is on boats electronics why do they even bother with ignition keys, that sink, get lost or forgotten. Why not just an unmarked off/on/momentary toggle switch, problems solved. Thieves will be looking for the key...
My 6" float holds the registration papers, works but too cumbersome in size.

how difficult would this be to do? havent' had my boat very long and really don't like hassling with the keys either. i am at the lake every weekend and don't like to leave my keys in the ignition but would love the idea of a toggle switch.

Nova II 260

Bigbenrusky :how difficult would this be to do?
The easiest way would be to have an on/off switch for the ignition and a push button for starting, like race cars have i.e. start switch panel

burroak

All the attention that is given to floating key chains has one goal: get the ignition key back into the switch. Obviously there are better and worse devices for floating an ignition key, but with the best of devices there are mitigating circumstances to how well they function. Lost, stolen, misplaced, overboard in rough water, you name it (Murphy's Law) situations will happen negating the best features of the best floating key chain. My approach is to use the little spongy, hot doggie thing that is given out at boat shows and get 2 or 3 other keys made---one for your wallet, another wire tied securely on the boat, and another on the exterior of your tow vehicle with the entry key that we all intend to get and never do.:D