fuel out of foot 1991 200 johnson

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my engine turns, but will not start. i noticed that there is fuel dripping from the foot and the foot smokes, but will not start. is the dripping a sign of flooding, and if so how do i fix it. i replaced my plugs and charged my battteries, as suggested, but it only spins and will not start. any suggestions please.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel out of foot 1991 200 johnson

have you checked for spark?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Fuel running down the leg is definately not good. Im not so sure you want any spark ;) I would ensure there is no leak anywhere before proceeding with checking for spark, probably unlikely, but you never know.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The big bore loopers like yours are very easy to start when functioning properly, due to the QuikStart ignition.

Do a complete compression check and spark check using a good spark test device, both with all spark plugs removed. Then we can hope to give good advice.

With six carbs pumping fuel and oil and no fire, where else would it go on a two stroke but out the exhaust?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ah Im sorry, I was envisioning the fuel running down his leg from his description, not out the exhaust.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The "foot" is the gearcase, not the midsection.

The excess fuel and oil will travel down through the exhaust ports and exit through the vents on the top of the lower unit, the drain holes, and the exhaust opening behind the propeller. When the water fills the midsection, it will also exit through the exhaust relief.

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The big bore loopers like yours are very easy to start when functioning properly, due to the QuikStart ignition.

Do a complete compression check and spark check using a good spark test device, both with all spark plugs removed. Then we can hope to give good advice.

With six carbs pumping fuel and oil and no fire, where else would it go on a two stroke but out the exhaust?

i bought a spark tester, disconnected the red harness, used a remote starter and checked each wire indivually, there was no spark on either one. i did not remove either plug because the tester i have looks like a sparkplug. you put it into the wire and ground the other end. not removeing the plug, does that make a difference

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the spark plugs were all removed and the kill wire disconnected by disconnecting the red plug at the engine when you did the test, your powerpack is probably toast.

Take a look at the CDI spark tester and you can get a better idea of what is generally used. You want to test the ignition with minimum load, which is why the plugs need to be out.

http://www.iboats.com/CDI_Spark_Gap_Tester/dm/keywords.spark%20tester--**********.263320461--*******.527059693--list_time.1196815553--view_id.38089

You can make a tester with a board, drill and nails if necessary.

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the spark plugs were all removed and the kill wire disconnected by disconnecting the red plug at the engine when you did the test, your powerpack is probably toast.

i didnt remove any spark plugs, i removed one wire at a time, replaced it then tested the next