changing input seal on upper case...

94OMC

Seaman
Hi,
Great forum, I've learned a lot by reading and searching posts for the last couple of months.

I do have one question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I've got a Cobra SX drive and I'm replacing all the seals in my upper and lower case. I am having difficulty with the input seal on the upper case. I've removed the torx bolt from the end of the pinion gear, but I can't get the pinion and stub yoke to seperate. I don't have a manual yet (I'm trying to find a factory manual) but was hoping somebody on here could point me in the right direction. Is there a special tool required to get to the input seal?

Thanks in advance!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: changing input seal on upper case...

Before you put it back together, get a manual. You are going to need a new bolt torx bolt, and a crush sleeve between the gears, plus you are going to have to reset the rolling torque on the double bearing box.
The lower is going to be worse if you don't do some measurements BEFORE you take it apart.
You can get a manual at the link below (Remove the " " )

"http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/volvo/index.html"

94OMC

Seaman

I did note the rotational position and depth of the bearing carrier for the prop shaft before removing. I also noticed that there wasn't any lash between the prop shaft and vertical drive shaft. Is that normal? I would think that there should be some lash to allow for expansion.

Since I haven't removed any bearings, and the shims aren't damaged, should I expect any difficulty with re-assembly?

94OMC

Seaman

Well I ended up taking the upper bearing box to a shop to have them install a new input seal. Can somebody tell me what the rolling torque should be? It feels quite a bit tigter now.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

9-14 in. lbs. on the pinion gear double bearing box alone. Not installed in the upper housing with the fwd and rev gears.