Maxum 2100 SC3 - Review

QC

Supreme Mariner
If you are wondering what the heck this thread is for take a look here and here.

One of the new boats that Maxum is releasing for 2008 is the 2100 SC3 Cuddy. It is a 21 footer with an 8’3” beam. The test boat was equipped with a 5.0 260 bhp MPI Merc and an Alpha 1. This was a good combination for this boat although we could not experience the full benefit of the performance package. More on that later . . .

104305_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg

The SC3 is packed with some very cool standard features. It may have the slickest concealed Bimini I have seen this side of a $200K Custom boat with a powered one. Concealed into the gunnels and transom, the hardware and canvas was literally invisible when stowed. However . . . like a few of my previous comments in my other threads, it was attention to detail during setup that hampered a full display of this feature. I asked if we could put it up as I wanted to see if this stowage system had any negative impact on setup. If Mrs. QC reads this, I’ll probably catch some flack, but the fact is as soon as she asks for it up, she wants it down, and visa versa. Anyway, as we were pulling it out, it was obvious immediately that there was a missing piece of hardware. All standard stuff, nothing special, but there was a missing bracket and we couldn’t deploy it. Again setup cost us the opportunity to completely view what may be the nicest Bimini stowage system I have seen. I can tell you though that it would have been a snap to get up, there is nothing new about the hardware itself or the setup method, so I think this is going to be a hit.

100_1465%20Cropped%20&%20resized.JPG

There is a nice little sink in the cockpit with a large open area underneath for an ice chest. Also there is a huge teak table that will be a favorite with many. Uh, ummm, I don’t like it . . . Wonh wonh (how do you make that Snoopy sound with type?). A very nice piece of wood that to me is too large and too heavy for this boat. It looks like one big ouchie waiting to happen. I know that Maxum is trying to give her an upscale look, but to me she would be cleaner with a typical fiberglass table. Again, many will like it, and it is a heck of a piece of wood, but I‘d honestly try and “accidentally” leave it at home so that I wouldn’t have to lug it around. I am weird about weight, and I don’t like stuff to mess up the flopability of a comfy cockpit.

104305_p_t_360x240_image14.jpg

You can kinda see the sink here and the ski locker

When at the helm I was once again very satisfied with the seating. I could reach the floor in both seating positions and stand up without moving the seat back. This is a standard test of mine. I hate my feet dangling like I am in a high chair, and I like to stand up to get a good view and then sit back down without having to fumble with anything. The SC3 passed with flying colors. This issue will probably not register with taller guys, but remember, mom will wanna drive sometimes too.

104305_p_t_360x240_image12.jpg

A shot of the helm that also shows the sliding cabin door and nice big steps to get to the bow

Hole shot was fantastic and I rechecked the data card to see if maybe this was a Bravo 3. The shifting on the new Alphas is so good, I honestly wasn’t sure, and again she absolutely jumped on plane. The reason for this was obvious though when we attempted high speed runs. With the throttle mashed, and while I was messing with the trim, all of a sudden I start hearing beeps. A quick glance at the tach showed 5500 RPM :eek: we had hit the rev limiter and alarm. My guess is she was probably 4 inches short on pitch . . . Again, an initial setup issue that limited our ability to evaluate the boat. In fact this poor SC3 was probably the most hampered by this of all of the boats we tested. Almost everybody wants to know how fast they’ll run, and I can’t tell you. I will say she was nearing 48 MPH when we hit the limiter and obviously had plenty left. My guess is 52ish . . .

Heading below, there is a big boat style sliding cabin door. Very nice with built in steps to get to the bow. Underneath this is a pretty decent size cuddy for a 21 footer. A great place for the kids to nap or for a couple to camp for a night or two. Most would use it as stowage space I guess, and if you want to be able to lock your stuff up or have it out of sight while cruising, this will be great. A nice little head too. Something that was a definite issue with one of our iboats guys, Bill Gius, was really evident on this boat. If the seat backs in the cabin were just another inch or two higher, the resulting ledge would be much more secure for stowing small items, even fishing poles. With the way they are, also noticeable on the large cruisers, most things would roll off when the boat heels to one side or the other. Bill would also use a simple test on helms with a pair of sunglasses. If they slide off, well, no good. Boats need some very simple little features to aid in stowing things, and not having them, stuff ends up on the floor. Raising these seat back cushions slightly would be an easy improvement.

All in all a very capable Cuddy for a small family, or young couple and a couple of friends. Her 19 degrees of deadrise will allow her to make short peeks outside as well as crossings of some big lake basins. I have experience with two Maxum 2100 hulls and they are damn near amazing. Smooth ride, excellent handling and very good top speed, so I am convinced the boat would easily break the 50 MPH barrier with this powerplant. I just wish we could’ve experienced it first hand . . .

Last edited:

z rated

Cadet
Re: Maxum 2100 SC3 - Review

i know its a bit of an old thread, but i wanted to chime in and add that ive got a 2007 2100 sc3 and i love it. THis boat is the tits

coansha

Recruit
Re: Maxum 2100 SC3 - Review

i know its a bit of an old thread, but i wanted to chime in and add that ive got a 2007 2100 sc3 and i love it. THis boat is the tits

Hi,
I am looking at getting a Maxum 2100 SC3. Do you have any experience of wakeboarding/water skiing with it. Mainly it will be used for messing about with the family but occasionally I may want to ski/board. I have seen a very good condition 2008 model with the 4.3mpi engine, is this able to pull a skier out or is that a lost cause and should I really wait and find a 5.0mpi inboard?
Anything specific I should look out for?
Thanks.