Chrysler 3.6 fuel mixture

stephenb

Cadet
I just picked up a 1970's 3.6 hp Chrysler and was wondering what the fuel to oil ratio is on these older engines, thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 3.6 fuel mixture

That's a Tecumpsa / Lawn Boy air cooled engine with a water cooled leg. It has a plain bearing rod big end. Oil is 25 to 1 or 1 quart oil for 6 gal gas.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't think the Chrysler 3.6 is a Tecumseh The Specs don't match.Also I don't think Lawnboy is related.LawnBoy is an OMC product.However Mixture is right on
at 25:1. There is a suggestion of 16:1 for severe service.Perhaps they are refering to very heavy loads or extra hot conditions.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

May have gotten the Tecumseh part wrong--the mind is the second thing to go--but lawn boy made a 2 cycle mower that used the same engine--even exhausted down into the shroud. Also back in the '70s or maybe '80s someone made an "air mower" with the same engine. Mower had no wheels--blades generated enough lift to float it several inches above the ground. So, engine needed to be light--two cycle. Used to be advertised as effortless mowing and easier on hills. Never was successful though. I can imagine why. They all used the same air cooled engine--may have been slightly different bore and stroke and horsepower but I'll bet dollars that they all outsourced engines from the same manufacturer and adapted them to their own purposes.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

May have gotten the Tecumseh part wrong--the mind is the second thing to go--but lawn boy made a 2 cycle mower that used the same engine--even exhausted down into the shroud. Also back in the '70s or maybe '80s someone made an "air mower" with the same engine. Mower had no wheels--blades generated enough lift to float it several inches above the ground. So, engine needed to be light--two cycle. Used to be advertised as effortless mowing and easier on hills. Never was successful though. I can imagine why. They all used the same air cooled engine--may have been slightly different bore and stroke and horsepower but I'll bet dollars that they all outsourced engines from the same manufacturer and adapted them to their own purposes.

Could this be Tanaka? I worked on a gamefisher that was made by them. EPA had a fit about them and they were discontinued. Man talk about a loud trolling motor. Fish with that thing for more then ten minutes and your fishing partner will shoot you.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Checked with LawnBoy they made their own engines.I remember the "hover craft mowers"I don't know how they could develope lift and not flatten the grass.My bet would be Clinton,Lawson or Tecumseh for the mower.