Excessive fuel use 1994 Johnson 150

Speakrdude

Ensign
The engine seems to run fine, but I have noticed lately., it uses a lot of fuel. No signs of leakage or smell. Could be plugs I suppose.

Any takers?

Also, Lately, I've noticedd the fuel gauge jumps around a lot. It didn't use too. I've had the boat since it was new in 94. It has dual tanks and does the same on either tank. The gauge is new, Although the needle on the gauge is not mounted correctly. (a different problem)

Jim

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Excessive fuel use 1994 Johnson 150

Is it an Intruder? If so ... let me know since my father-in-law had the same problem.

Speakrdude

Ensign

No. it is a Fast Strike on a Ranger Bass boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

"Uses a lot of fuel!" That's not a very good description. How about figuring this out in gallons per hour at wide open throttle. Fill the tank, Run wide open for 15 minutes. Refill - measure the amout being added and multiply by 4. You should come out pretty close to 15 gallons per hour give or take a little.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

Also, Lately, I've noticedd the fuel gauge jumps around a lot. It didn't use too. I've had the boat since it was new in 94. It has dual tanks and does the same on either tank. The gauge is new, Although the needle on the gauge is not mounted correctly. (a different problem)

Jim

I think most boats have this problem. :) I have a '94 Vindicator 200 on a '95 Skeeter 200SL, and yesterday my gauge was on 1/2 of a tank when I left the water. It stayed that way all night, and this morning. This afternoon when I took it out it jumped back up to above 3/4 of a tank. Those floats in there aren't 100% reliable. I always make a habit of looking at the gas tank through the aft compartment before I leave to see if I'm going to need to go get gas or not. Some times it says a 1/2 tank on the gauge, but I really have 3/4.

I've seen this a lot on oblong shaped tanks, but mine is a square 41 gallon tank that sits level in the boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The other problem is that the fuel level is sent to the gauge via a variable resistance element. The wiper on the element is connected to the float. Over time the wiper either wears out (tip wears off it) or wears out the wire it's running on so a periodic replacement of the sending unit is not a bad idea if the boat has any age to it. Try to get the OEM replacement which helps to get the replacement reading accurately.

Mark