Water in lower Unit - Condensation?

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just talked with the parts/service dept. to get parts for my 83 Evinrude 50hp. He said it possibly isn't anything more than condensation! <br /><br />Any opinions? <br /><br />There was an initial stream of clear water (like drinking water) that lasted about 1 full second, then the oil came after that. <br /><br />If I replace the impellar with the kit, put it all back together, then pressure/vacuum test it and find a leak, am I going to have to replace the new impellar kit? <br /><br />One last thing, could I still run it as long as I change the lower unit oil every two-three trips? <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jason

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Water in lower Unit - Condensation?

What did the oil look like after it started coming out? Milky? Has it been sitting awhile in conditions that would lead to condensation?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Technically, there shouldn't be any water mixed with the oil. If it's real milky colored, there is quite of bit of water mixed in. If it's dark brown, there is little or no water.<br /><br />I've run an 85 hp Evinrude with some lower unit leakage (coffee with light cream) for a season without problems (at least none I'm aware of) -- changed the oil mid-season, which isn't difficult or expensive.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Considering the motor has been sitting a long time it is probably worn seals. Yes water got into the iol and turned it milky colored BUT over time it has seperated completely.<br /><br />Change the oil, run the motor and check it weekly. You might have to change it again but it should be okay.<br /><br />Bob

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There was the initial stream of water. Lasted a full one second count. The water was crystal clear - like drinking water. <br />The oil followed, dark blackish/redish colored. <br />They were completely separated. <br /><br />The boat hasn't been run in about 4 years. It was left out in the elements, with no cover. <br /><br />My dad just hauled it out here (NC) from Missouri. It has sat for about two weeks while I've been doing other things (sanding, carpeting, fuel lines, etc.) to the boat. <br /><br />Thanks for the info on running it with a little water in it. I can change the oil in it 15+ times for less than it would cost to have a seal kit put in. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jason

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Bob_vt, oldboat1, and t.h. <br /><br />I appreciate the input. <br /><br />Jason

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

LU is clearly leaking. Need to do pressure and vacuum tests to determine where. Is probably the prop shaft or drive shaft seals. Don't let this go or you may have expensive moving parts to change also.