Cleaning Carbs?

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at an older Checkmate with a 115 merc. The owner claims the carbs needing to be cleaned is responsible for 'surging at partial throttle"

Does this sound legit or could it be signs of something more serious? The guy seems legit, but I've been burned before.

Jung4g

Cadet
Re: Cleaning Carbs?

If the needle or float is sticking, I could see it more or less turning the fuel supply on and off due to slower response of those pieces. It could cause surging.

Offer less because of the known issue and then clean the carb out yourself and see.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He claims he can do it. I guess I should make him! lol.

It's about 3.5 hrs away

I got burned on my last boat purchase, so I'm doing everything I can to NOT chock another up to the 'lesson learned' category.

But hard to do when your budget is $2k.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On any boat purchase, do an on-water test. If the owner refuses, walk away or cut the price drastically to cover potential issues. His idea of surging may be due to an ignition system that's cutting one or more cylinders in and out. Could be fuel system as well. If it's as simple as a carb rebuild, why hasn't he performed this service. Seems to me a $75 investment to ensure he has a good running boat would aid in the sale and very likely bring an extra $100 or so.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I got an '81 checkmate with brand new upholstery for $400 less than asking price.

Now I'll just need y'alls help to get 'er runnin' right.

He claims he mixed up a new batch of gas and it didn't change it and has changed the plugs.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In my experience, the best way to avoid "getting burned" on a used motor purchase is to make sure it runs fine at time of purchase, to perform the basic engine checks http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=188767 , and to check that there is no water in the lower unit lube. Otherwise it is a gamble.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good info, but how do I check for water int he 'lower unit tube?'

Thanks

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drain a small amount of lube from the lower unit and see if the lube looks milky or cloudy. If it is, then water is leaking into the lower unit. If it is dark or black in color like used motor oil, then it is OK. Don't check it immediately after running the boat on the water as the lube will be aerated for a short time and it can look like it is milky from water but it is just aerated. Take a look at this thread for more information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=215908

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use seafoam in my truck all the time. Good info, thanks!