2000 Kawasaki 900 STX - cooling vent stopped up?

KarstRanger

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
15
Hi folks - I appreciate the help I have received in the past in the Iboats forum and hope I can contribute myself as my knowledge grows about various watercraft.

The problem I am writing about is on the above jet ski that has only been run in fresh water. After sitting up (properly fogged and dried out) since last November, I put it in the river and it ran fine, except I noticed reduced and almost no flow out of the little 1/4" cooling water vent tube on the right front side of the craft. It dribbles a little bit under higher acceleration, but is not the steady stream that it was before.

Is this something to worry about? I ran the ski up and down the river a while before I noticed the lack of water out of that vent tube and the overheat light had not come on. I have beached it since, until I figure this out.

Thanks -- KR.
 

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
1,944
Re: 2000 Kawasaki 900 STX - cooling vent stopped up?

it is just dirty use a weed wacker line and push it in the hose to clear out any sand etc,, nothing to be worried about
 

KarstRanger

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
15
Re: 2000 Kawasaki 900 STX - cooling vent stopped up?

Thanks, weedwacker line sounds like the way to go. I will give it a try and post the results :)
 

KarstRanger

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
15
Re: 2000 Kawasaki 900 STX - cooling vent stopped up?

There is an electrically activated valve of some sort about half way between the vent and the exhaust U-tube -- this appears to be inoperative.

The weedwacker cord went up to the valve from both directions, with no blockage to clear, so I think this valve is not working. I have not checked to see if it is getting its "open" signal or not, I will need to dig out my service manual or buy one if I have not already for this here vehicle. I am not sure if I should be looking for a 12v signal or not. I wonder what the idea is behind having a valve here anyway - what is the purpose? Maybe I will should just take it out of the equation (?).

Thanks,
KR.
 
Top