Alpha 1 Gen II loosing gear lube

dimcow

Recruit
2007 Bayliner 185BR, 3.0l, Alpha 1 Gen II, 17 hours on boat. I've noticed over the last few trips the gear lube resevoir is loosing about 1/8" of gear lube per trip. Not much, but I've lost probably 1/2" - 3/4" total since I took delivery 3 months ago. It was full almost to the top then - I checked. I am now just below the "normal operating line". I have searched this forum and others, some say any loss of gear lube is bad; others say a little here and there is OK. What's the bottom line on this? A new boat, so I would not suspect seals...is it possible the resevoir vents or blows oil out the cap? There is no L/O anywhere in the bilge, dripping out the lower unit, or on my driveway. I appreciate any info...

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha 1 Gen II loosing gear lube

That small amount I wouldn't worry about. There was probably some air in the drive and it will come up through the resevoir. See if it continues and when you bring it to your dealer for it's first service make them aware of it.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alpha 1 Gen II losing gear lube

Re: Alpha 1 Gen II losing gear lube

If it's leaking at the prop shaft, you won't see it while under way.
You could put a bit of air pressure on the vent of the bottle and see if it distorts the bottle, (start at 0, raise it slowly to ~3-4 psi). If the bottle takes it ok, leave it on a while and watch the oil level. If it goes down, it has to be coming out somewhere.

But as a 2007 model, isn't it under warranty?

dimcow

Recruit

The warranty is good, but I want to learn too...

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had same problem on my Gen II drive. Was caused by a shifter seal(can't remember the term)popping off. Dealer stated it was a common problem on Gen II drives. Should be covered by warranty.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Had same problem on my Gen II drive. Was caused by a shifter seal(can't remember the term)popping off. Dealer stated it was a common problem on Gen II drives. Should be covered by warranty.
Welcome to iboats.....:) (both of ya!)
No loss of gear lube is acceptible......
There should have been no shrinkage due to air bubbles....
The proper method would be to drain & pressure test the drive....
The bad part is that if lube is getting out, then water is getting in....:(
Personally, I would drain the lube & see if you have any signs of water....
Don't wait,the longer it sits in there, the worse, esp. in salt water....
If it were me & I found water in there, I'd be wantin' a new drive...
Take it back immediately, IMHO....;)