help please

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class
can someone tell me how to purge air out of my tilt/trim cylinders. i belive i have air in them.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: help please

Whose trim cyls do you have???

Mercs are self purging, trim in, trim out, repeat....

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

so all i have to do is open vent screw a move the outrive up/down, ohh its a merc

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

no its always closed. when is it suposed to be open? all the way out or half way? i think the reason it don't go all the way down is because there is air in it. thanks for the quick replies

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Then remove the vent screw & cycle the unit up & down while monitoring the fluid level......:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is your actual problem, other than you believe you have air in it?
What year Merc is it?

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well don its my tilt/trim it goes up great, but going down it starts going down geat untill it gets half wasy down it stops but motor and everying still runs, i greased everything, fluid is full. im just stuck on this one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bet there is a lot of corrosion around the rods where they go into the trim cylinder, that or the pump is on it's way out on trim pump. Leaky down circuit.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bet there is a lot of corrosion around the rods where they go into the trim cylinder, that or the pump is on it's way out on trim pump. Leaky down circuit.

the rods are really shiny clean, is there any other way to tell if the pump is going bad? that i could try. and is power steering fluid the same as tilt/trim fluid.just wondering. thanks alot don