My Smart Tabs installed.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well.. finally got to test the Smart Tabs.

I really noticed a huge difference in the stability of the boat when moving quickly. Even in tuirns it feels much more comfortable.But...

From up front... it seems like it isn't planing at high speeds. It tries when fully open and the rpm kicks up for a second but then it.s back down. Before it felt like it was riding on top f the water. It feels like it is plowing it slightly now at the front. And still some very minor chime walking. Had the wife take a video at the back of the boat... Wondering if it looks right? I have the tabs set at the furthest hole right now. It was doing the same at the middle hole. Tried all different tilt levels on the motor mount.

Sorry for quality. My regular still camera has quicklime capability, It's slowed me down from buying a decent camcorder :)

Still pic of my wake:
UpNorthOrillia033.jpg

Here's a pic of the tabs on the boat
UpNorthOrillia001.jpg

Last edited:

nlain

Commander
Re: My Smart Tabs installed.

Looks like too much pressure, bow too low, to decrease pressure on tabs you need to move the cylinder near the transom, that is the way the stainless steel version works, from your photo it looks like you have adjusted all the way out away from the transom, that increased the pressure causing the bow to plow.
Call John and discuss with him. Phone 800-233-0194

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you have them down too much, causing the bow to plow, same as the trim too far in.

studlymandingo

Commander

You were definitely on plane but the bow was plowing a bit. Does that motor have a trim mechanism?

It looks like you need to reduce the pressure on the actuators a bit, you have to tweak the STs to get them just the way you want them.​

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So.. I have the tabs extended to the furthest position away from the boat...

By moving the piston closer to the boat.. would that not force the front end down further?

I also keep my fuel tank up front. But it had 1/4 tank when we took the vid so not much weight up there. Should I still move it to the back under the engine pan?

nlain

Commander

Moving the cylinders to the front actually reduces the pressure on the tabs, I'm not familiar with the SX tabs, but the stainless steel version you can adjust the top end of the cylinder to raise and lower the angle if moving it forward does make the angle too much.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Make sure to send this to John at Nauticus too . . . He checks in often, but you can get to him through their site too.

The video shows a lot of spray from them at higher speeds, which is an indication that they are not getting up as high as they need to under speed. Looks like you need to adjust them as discussed, and you may even need a lower pressure strut thingy deal . . . Hang in there. John will help you get them right.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

is that your son in the back playing a video game!!! wow camping is awsome

MikDee

Banned

This is something I'm concerned about with Smart Tabs, my bow plowing. I know a lot of you guys praise them to the high heavens but I'm not so convinced. It just seems that they act like spring action airfoil brakes on an airplane, plus at times I like to keep my bow up, depending on wave conditions, I don't see how these will let me? Especially if you don't have power trim, & tilt.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Memo to everyone:

It may be that when you call other companies you get a machine, a request to push buttons, and ultimately someone who could care less!

The only time you will get a machine here is if we are not in the office. Also, we all care about your satisfaction, so if you are not getting the best, Call or send an email.

If you are using the SX series, and the boat is plowing, look at the instructions again and don't second guess. Hole marked #1 is the least pressure and hole five is max pressure. This has nothing to do with the angle.

Reduce the pressure to hole #1 or 2.

If you have the Stainless Steel version slide the actuator, at the plate bracket, closer to the plate (down the slot). Again this will not change the angle.

If the minimum pressure setting is still too much we can and will exchange the actuators to a lower pressure.

Cut your frustration down to nill, and call 800-233-0194.

LubeDude

Admiral

Memo to everyone:

Absolutly, this is the most customer freindly company in the world!!! To the point of bending over completely backwards.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Lube;

Call me when you can I need to beat up on someone. I do need to talk to you.

freddyray21

Commander

a side shot from the shore would tell more, but it does look like the front of the boat needs to come up a bit. Simple adjustment I would think.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

is that your son in the back playing a video game!!! wow camping is awsome

The Gameboy was for the 3 1/2 hour trip in te car.

But I tried to pry it from his hands and he bit me :)

Seriously though... I think it was a game about camping :)

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Memo to everyone:

It may be that when you call other companies you get a machine, a request to push buttons, and ultimately someone who could care less!

The only time you will get a machine here is if we are not in the office. Also, we all care about your satisfaction, so if you are not getting the best, Call or send an email.

If you are using the SX series, and the boat is plowing, look at the instructions again and don't second guess. Hole marked #1 is the least pressure and hole five is max pressure. This has nothing to do with the angle.

Reduce the pressure to hole #1 or 2.

If you have the Stainless Steel version slide the actuator, at the plate bracket, closer to the plate (down the slot). Again this will not change the angle.

If the minimum pressure setting is still too much we can and will exchange the actuators to a lower pressure.

John I presume?

I am going to adjust the tabs to the second hole and try it out. Then to the first. I found hole 3 did not give me the stability I wanted. The boat feels "lurchy". I will try to get a side shot and an interior shot as well to post.

Buy reducing pressure will I lose the turning stability I have come to love? Before the turns would be unstable and "lurchy" but with the tabs the way they are now turning is smooth and the boat stays close to center.

I hope to get out and test next weekend. I will post results.

Thanks for your help.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is something I'm concerned about with Smart Tabs, my bow plowing. I know a lot of you guys praise them to the high heavens but I'm not so convinced. It just seems that they act like spring action airfoil brakes on an airplane, plus at times I like to keep my bow up, depending on wave conditions, I don't see how these will let me? Especially if you don't have power trim, & tilt.
Although I am softening my thoughts on this . . . this is still one of the best arguments for helm adjustable tabs ;)