Transducer Mounting on new boat

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I got a sweet deal on a new Lowrance X18C and picked it up for my new boat (19ft Polar deep V). It comes with the 21 degree transom mount transducers but I am thinking about having a through hull puck installed instead. I am concerned the kiddies will end up pulling or standing on them when swimming or a tow rope for tubing may get caught on them. I'm just curious if I could expect to loose any performance with this decision.<br /><br />Helpful advice greatly appreciated<br /><br />Kevin

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Transducer Mounting on new boat

Kevin:<br />We have had great service from them (Lowrance) over the last 10 years.<br />I was waiting for someone else that knows a lot more about them to make a post. I have an older Lowrance and have talked to the reps at the boat shows several times. With great results. My partner bought one a couple years after me and when he had a problem with it he sent it back (they paid shipping both ways by the way) and instead of just fixing it they upgraded the unit for him (no cost) and sent him the new manual to boot. Try asking Lowrance direct: http://www.lowrance.com/ <br />and see what they have to say. I'm only guessing but I think it will be a trade off.. as you suggested. <br /><br />Link

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transducer Mounting on new boat

Thanks Link,<br /><br />I did look at the lowarnce.com site but didn't contact them with my question. <br /><br />There is another alternative that I have been considering. I'm not sure but there may even be a product on the market along this line. If perhaps, I can find a way to mount the transom mounted transducers on a stainless quick release mount, I could roll these babies out for when I want to do my serious fishing. Then roll them back up and stick them in the bilge or battery compartment when done. For all other purposes, I could use the thru hull transducer.<br /><br />Although the dealer agreed to install at no charge, I anticipate parting with a few more sheckles to do things right. Lowrance lists the thru hull transducer somewhere around $89.00. In addition to this does anyone have an idea of what I could be looking at for installation cost for the thru hull transducer?<br /><br />Kevin