2005 5.0L MPI ticking sound, Lifters?

p40whk

Recruit
My engine has been making a ticking sound this year which sounds like one of the lifters needs to be adjusted. What's odd is this boat is a 2005 with less than 250 hours on it and I'm having a hard time believing that I should be having this problem so soon! I'm not sure if the guy who winterized my boat changed the oil at the end of the season last year because it's a bit dark (even though he charged me for it) but the oil level was well within the operating range.

I added a quart of Lucas Oil additive and that quieted it a little but I can still hear the ticking.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting before I start pulling things apart?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 2005 5.0L MPI ticking sound, Lifters?

Any suggestions for troubleshooting before I start pulling things apart?
ya could use a hearing hose ( a couple a ft. of any hose, like a garden hose or a heater hose) to help ya locate the tic......

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your not sure if he changed the oil??? did you check it when you got the boat back?? If its dirty go ahead and change it, you probably have some dirt stuck under a valve/lifter.. Start the engine with air cleaner/flame resistor off carb, pour a cap full of marvels mystery oil into carb. keep rpms up,, this will clean the valves/lifters.

p40whk

Recruit

Never thought about using Marvel Mystery oil, great idea. I have the boat in the driveway and planned to change the oil this weekend anyway so I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Do what Ziggy indicated. There have been many posts here that a ticking noise turned out to be exhaust shutters. If you had any overheat issue in the last year, even more likely. If you added a qt, make sure you removed enough oil to get back down to full mark, to prevent foaming.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's an MPI, you're going to have a hard time pouring anything in the carb, and putting anything in the air inlet won't allow it to get to the engine.
Are you sure your engine oil isn't over full. If it is, it will cause the lifters to make noise because the oil will be aireated due to the crankshaft hitting the oil.
I'm assuming you know the difference between a fuel injector ticking and a lifter. They do sound about the same.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I'm assuming you know the difference between a fuel injector ticking and a lifter. They do sound about the same.

So how do you tell the difference?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mechanics stethescope

p40whk

Recruit

This is my first Fuel Injected engine so no, I don't know the difference! I do have a mechanics stethoscope so I'll try to see where the sound is coming from. I had no idea that the fuel injectors would make a ticking sound.