Need some FG Repair Help

phinsup

Seaman Apprentice
Well after my nightmare transom repair I am still trying to sort out all of the issues cause from the shop.<br /><br />This is one major one I am faced with, the picture here is of the inside of the fuel compartment, there are 3 very large holes and a cut all the way around the back, the floor flexes because these have not been repaired and is already starting to crack some. Obviously I can force some epoxy into the crack, but what about the holes?<br /><br />Anyhow, I need to fix this with access to only one side. I am hoping I can sand the inside then use epoxy and glass to fix and strengthen the area.<br /><br />Any help would be very appreciated! <br /><br />
gallery_191_133_292969.jpg

dolluper

Captain
Re: Need some FG Repair Help

Where exactly is this picture,by transom? or bow?<br />Does the cut go threw wood? and the Woven roving [glass]?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would cut circles of similar size and thickness to fill the holes. I would then sand down all of the near by surfaces. I would then fill the cut with thickened epoxy (using silica fibers, wood flour or some other filler) and then bed the wood plugs in the holes using the same mix. I would then lay a piece of structural glass cloth across the surface and wet it thoroughly (enough to wet it out, but no more) with epoxy. <br /><br />Good luck,<br />Dan

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Phinsup, The fix is the same for the cracks and the holes. Use an angle grinder to grind the edges of the crack and holes down to make a wide surface to glass to. Now wipe everything with Acetone and saturate and lay pieces of glass roving (start with smallest piece to bridge crack or hole)and build it up with slightly larger pieces intil the crack or hole is completely filled in. Do it all in one sitting if possible. You can use poly or epoxy resin, as on this repair it doesn't matter. Don't mix them though. You can grind off the high spots if you wish.