When I put the foot back on do I need a gaskit?

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I drained the gear oil from my 1974 Johnson 6hp model 6R74-C. When my parts get here and I drop the lower unit to replace the impelller, and put the foot back on, will I need a gaskit? There are four bolts holding the foot on. If so, where can I get the gaskit and what is the description of it? Will I need any other gaskits or seals when I replace the impeller? I ordered the impeller only.. I appreciate some help, thanks Fishermanms

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: When I put the foot back on do I need a gaskit?

you will need the water pump gasket for sure dont reuse that gasket or it will leak guaranteed

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You can also secure the pump housing screws with Gasket sealing compound, especially if you run in salt water. A little oil on the impeller blades is good too. The manual calls for OMC adhesive "M" to seal groove in impeller housing and to the bottom edge of impeller plate , but im with Tadd on getting a new gasket. Also make sure you replace the gaskets on the drain and vent screws after you replace the lu fluid, thats the number one spot for water intrusion. GL

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help... When you say water pump gaskit .. are you referring to the gaskit that fits between the foot and the top when I put the 4 bolts back in and secure the foot back in place??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

He means the gasket when you take off the impeller housing, there are 4 screws that hold it down after you get the lower unit off. I use gasket sealing compound on the foot(or lower unit), but others may have better ideas.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no gasket on the water pump on a '74 6hp. There is a gasket under the bearing housing, below the water pump, but there is no reason to even disturb that unless you intend to replace the drive shaft seal. A bit of sealer under the water pump stainless steel plate is reccommended. Brand X is ok.

All this assumes you have the original style pump. The new replacements are considerably different.

Also, no gasket where the gearcase meets the exhaust housing.