First timers need advise

Just purchased our first boat, a 1966 Span 14ft runabout. After bringing the boat home we discovered the floor was soft, tore the floor out to find only dust and rotten stringers. Further inspection revealed a rotten transom. We have read all the threads on replacing the stringers and transom, and we ain't skeered!:D

We need advice on what type of mat and resin to use, how much, or anything else you could possibly give us advice on. Also there is no floatation foam. Do we need to add some?

Please help!!!:eek:

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First timers need advise

Tashasdaddy,

Why would the Seacast system not work for this boat? No, I don't work for them or are affliated in any way. Thought it would be a helpful link.
I've used it in several boats and the system seems to work just fine. Maybe you need to read a little more on its applications and uses.

I see that several of the threads we have read reccomend only glassing in one stringer at a time. Why is that? Also, since we are removing the upper deck from our boat is it safe to do it on the trailer? What weight of matt is the best for this project? There was originally no foam under the floor, do we need to add some? In the skanky beast project (love the name) he used foam, what is it for? Also, in that project, he used Polyester resin, is that ok or is Epoxy needed? We will post pics as soon as we can of our project. We knew this boat would be a project, but we only paid 400 bucks for the boat and 2 evenrude speedifours, along with a breakaway trailer. I had never heard of Span boats, but from what i gather they must be fairly rare because i cant find any info on them. :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm all in favor of seacast, in a stable boat. this one is a total rebuild from there description. they are better off removing the inner skin and tying the transom into the stringers. properly. there boat has no bones. by the way if you've read my post i do alot of restoration. maybe you should read some more before you become critical.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

First off I meant no disrespect to you in any way,shape, or form. My thoughts to them were trying to be an easier fix. I do apologize to you for anything that may have been said in the wrong context. O.K. That being said - who buys the beers?????:D

tashasdaddy

no disrespect taken. lets fix this boat.

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go and get the book Runabout Renovation by Jim Anderson. Since you are doing pretty much a complete restoration this book will lead you thru it step by step. It was $12 well spent for me. Between the book and this site, my project is progressing quite well.

You asked epoxy vs. polyester. Epoxy is obviously better, it sticks to anything, has better water resistance than polyester, but since this is your first restoration, you will probably waste a lot of resin thru trial and error. I would guess that you will probably go thru about 6-7 gallons minimum to do the stringers, floor, and transom. Realistically more like 8-9 unless you are better than I am about conserving resin. Epoxy is about $90/gallon and Polyester is about $30/gallon.

Just to give you a rough idea of resin usage, I put in a new transom, 24" of floor in the aft section, and glassed in some wood in the bow section from changing the seating arrangement. I have already gone thru 6 gallons and I still need to finish off those seat pieces. (probably one more gallon.)

I would look on Ebay or some local shops to get a good deal on your resin, mat, cloth, and woven roving. You are going to need a boatload (pun intended) of each.

I used polyester strictly because of $$$. I have everything to do to this boat. I'm buying all new everything except for the aluminum extrusion that accepts the rub rail and the aluminum railings. I wanted to keep the resto around $3K (15' Trihull). Epoxy would have cost me another $500. I decided to put that in to the new seats.

You also asked about foam. Foam is used for flotation in case the boat gets swamped. The foam will keep the boat afloat at the surface for the maximum weight. If you are adding foam it must be strategically placed so that it is bisymmetrical down the transverse center of the boat. Laymans terms, same amount on port and starboard side. This is to prevent a swamped boat from capsizing.

Here is a link for the US Coast Guard guide to flotation.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/flotation/flotation.htm

I just finished my transom so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Here is a link to my project. It has lots of pics and may be of some help.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=184482

Good luck.

Coors

Captain

Instead of foam, you might want to check Bondo's threads of pepsi bottles.

I'm in the floor of a cuddy right now, and if I get wet foam out, it will be soda pop bottles from now on...

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh and TashasDaddy, you are absolutely out of your mind. When I get this project done, I hope I never see another piece of mat, cloth, or roving as long as I live. I also will not miss that sweet smell of resin wafting throughout the whole house.

It's just as well. If I brought home another project boat, the divorce papers would be filed before I could even get the grinder off the shelf.

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

welcome to iboats,
I see that several of the threads we have read reccomend only glassing in one stringer at a time. Why is that? Also, since we are removing the upper deck from our boat is it safe to do it on the trailer?
you have to have some room to work, and once you get started you have to move quick, resin and fiberglass "kicks", which means begins hardening in less than an hour depending on how much mekp you use, so you only work what you can complete, then you let your first layer kick but not cure, totally harden, you want the resin to be tacki so you can put on a second layer of resin and cloth, Im not telling you anything that isn t here,
on iboats already,
another reason is you want to take it a little slow, cause if you make a mistake, cleaning up and clearing wet glass is a mess, and anything that comes in contact with resin that is getting ready to kick is gonna be hard as a rock, and it will be very difficult to get hardened resin or glass off,

Good luck and take it slow till ya get comfortable with the glass and resin.

Most important, SPEND THE MONEY ON A RESPIRATOR,
AND GLOVES, GLOVES , GLOVES

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most important, SPEND THE MONEY ON A RESPIRATOR,
AND GLOVES, GLOVES , GLOVES

No kidding mellon, I have already gone thru 2-100 packs of nitrile gloves and am on my third. Doncha love it when they are just caked with mat hair.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Oh and TashasDaddy, you are absolutely out of your mind. When I get this project done, I hope I never see another piece of mat, cloth, or roving as long as I live. I also will not miss that sweet smell of resin wafting throughout the whole house.

It's just as well. If I brought home another project boat, the divorce papers would be filed before I could even get the grinder off the shelf.

Before you dis TashasDaddy id suggest you rebuild a few boat's, and then and only then after proven resultt's in a somewhat professional tone, you might want to readdress him, with a voice of reason and experience............ until then...... shattup and listen.....

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tail-Gunner,

You need to re-read my post. I think you read the first sentence and then replied. I am not dissing Tashasdaddy at all. I am marvelling at his addiction.

I'm remarking at his ability to keep getting more and more project boats and continually restoring them.

I am restoring one now and cannot wait to finish messing around with fiberglass and couldn't imagine doing another one immediately following, let alone 3 or 4 at a time.

I am well aware of TD's abilities and hold his opinion in high regard.

tashasdaddy

Tail Gunner and TriadSteeler, thanks for the comments, and i didn't take it as being disrespectful. your right i hate the glassing also, but the final product is what if love. i spent my younger years building upper class custom homes which are now reselling in the million dollar range. now disabled i have to keep my hands and mind busy. so i found something i really enjoy. as i've said before, there nothing like taking an old hag, and washing her down, a little plastic surgery, and dressing her in a new dress, and make up. and having a beauty.

right now there are 2 completed in the backyard, one motor being repaired. one boat with the transom out,under restoration, and 2 more on to go pick up. yes, it may be an addiction, and i admit it. but i'm not going to step 2 in the addiction program.

i don't get any grief about them from the neighbors, and have been divorced since 1981, i have a partner, who knows the boats were here first. and will be.

lgrayson

Cadet

Hey Jennandcurtis05,
I can totally relate to your situation, I recently complete a 1.5 month retore of a mid 70's fibercraft (fiberglass hull). I replaced the transom, stringers, and floor. I used 1/2" standard plywood since I was totally sealing it with thinned epoxy resin anyway. I used 6 gallons of epoxy resin and slow hardner, 2 of which were a product called "Quick Fair" a butter like 2 part system great for layering the transom to the outer hull skin. I suspened the hull on jack stands under the outer edges, then I removed the deck of the boat to alow access to everything. I can recomend that you totally sand or grind all previous fiberglass to original layer where ever you plan to laminate new matt or cloth, then clean thoroughy with accetone or something similar. This site and the people who post information on it is a great source of advice and instruction, what ever you need, you will find it here. Thanks all, the boat is sea worthy, and hasn't sunk yet.:D