Fly Wheel removal

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 91 Johnson 150GT and I cant get the fly wheel to come lose! I have a puller and I put some wd-40 on it about a week ago. But it will not move at all. NowI have stripped the threads on the puller. Any ideas??

rooster1

Seaman
Re: Fly Wheel removal

i have put a crowbar under the flywheel and tapped the crankshaft with the nut covering the threads ive done that 10 or more times rotate the flywheel and tap the rotate some more just when u think its not going to it will pop up

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well if you stripped all the puller holes, retap them to a larger size and get the puller back on and tight. Tap around the flywheel with a deadblow hammer until it pops up. Sometimes they can be difficult. I would avoid using any sort of pry bars or anything like that.

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice

i will give it a try. The hole in the fly wheel are good. The big bolt in the puller is stripping. I did tap on it some but I didnt want to get to rough with it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Get a better puller. One made of steel. A decent one won't break. Also make sure you have Grade-8 pulling bolts. They won't break either. Then don't be timid. Give it heck and it WILL come off with a pop. No heat, WD, or any magic potions necessary. As far as (gently) prying the flywell upward and giving the center puller bolt a whack when you get it as tight as possible, that is a common old practice from way back....but now BRP says don't do it. Whatever.

CATransplant

Admiral

i will give it a try. The hole in the fly wheel are good. The big bolt in the puller is stripping. I did tap on it some but I didnt want to get to rough with it.

Then it's a crappy puller. Go get a better one. As someone else suggested, use Grade 8 bolts.

Sometimes Northern Tool and Equipment or the bargain stuff at the parts store just doesn't cut it.

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice

The one had was from a parts store. It held up to the impact but once I put the pipe wrench on with the impact at the same time it just gave up. But it had alot of pressure on it before it gave up. I am leaving with the kids on vacation for a few days. Then I get to go back to work offshore the day we get back so I will have a few weeks to find a better one. Thank for all the help! Jason

CATransplant

Admiral

A trick that very often works is to attach the puller, apply lots of torque to the main screw, then leave. Come back in a few hours and the flywheel will have magically popped off. I like to leave 'em overnight.

Let the pressure work, instead of your arms.

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice

I have tried everything. Anyone have any other sugestions? If not I guess I will have to bring it to the shop. I have had the puller on it all day and I am going to leave it all night or until it comes off. Thanks for all the help guys! Jason

Walker

Captain

Give the center bolt of the puller a "GOOD" whack straight down.

sledstew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just some extra help: try and make sure the blots in the flywheel are in evenly or the flywheel sometimes pulls crooked and makes it harder to come off, get a good puller and tighten it up and dont be afraid to give it a good couple whacks then try to retighten the puller center bolt. You tighten the puller enough and keep tapping the puller it will come off.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try putting moderate pressure on the puller and prying lightly on two sides of the wheel alternately, sort of wobbling it. This usually works when all else falls.

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice

i am whooping and priyng on it about every few hours.

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice

Well no luck so far. I had to get the boat back in the garage because of more rain. but I left the puller on it as tight as I could get it. Maybe it will pop off. Thanks for all the help.