2005 Johnson idle after rebuild

phideux1

Cadet
Me and my buddy just rebuilt his 90 horse Johnson Saltwater series motor, a 2005. It blew a cylinder because of water in the oil. So now we run pre-mix. And cut out the oil tank. We had the cylinders bored 30 over and put in new pistons. The thing runs great. We put about 20 hours on it so far and it is running awesome. The only problem we have is at an idle. It just don't want to run. It is hell at the boat ramp putting it on the trailer. I guess since we changed the displacement, we need to reset the idle???????? Since this motor has a throttle body injection system, How do you do this???? Are there any mixture screws to adjust??? Adjust the timing???? Or just adjust the idle by adjusting the throttle cables???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 2005 Johnson idle after rebuild

Welcome to iboats. You may be able to adjust it with your throttle cable. I'm not very familiar with your engine. If you rebuilt it surely you had a manual when you did it. If not, your local library might have one that new that you can consult.

Walker

Captain

If the problem is too slow at idle then advance the idle timing a little til you get the rpms you want.

phideux1

Cadet

Thanks for the answers. We have the manual, but it doesn't really cover resetting the idle or timing after you bore out the cylinders, and go up in piston size. I guess we'll try both of your ideas and see if it helps. Advancing or retarding the timing a little is easy to try. I just wasn't sure about adjusting the throttle cables to try and change the idle. We don't know if the idle is controlled by that or by a chip or module. It has throttle body injection, not carbs.