dies after running

freddyray21

Commander
Took her out yesterday and she ran fine, pull skiers had good time. Today started out fine. Took a friend and his kids out. Pulled the two kids on the tube no problem. Beached and swan awhile then pulled my friend on the tube. After getting the boat on a plane it was running fine then started to miss then it was like someone turned the key off it just died. It started right back up then did the same thing. I am wondering if I have sucked something into the in tank screen then when the boat stopped it dropped it only to suck it up again. Do I just unscrew the fitting on the tank and pull the line out and find the screen on the end of it? Luckily it's down to about a 1/4 tank if I have to drain it. I bought the boat last fall late and have only had it in the water a few times this year, but it has never done this before. Fred

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: dies after running

need to find out if indeed "someone turned the key off" as in no spark or if it is getting fuel pressure while running

boathog

Seaman Apprentice

yes , unscrew it screen should be on the end of it ,also need to ck the ck valve on the end of the hose it can get cloged .

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you check your water seperating fuel filter for water. Sounds like something water would do.

freddyray21

Commander

wired a lead directly to the coil while still in the water and it still did it. Unless the coil is bad. Don't think so though, but could be.

freddyray21

Commander

don't believe it has a water seperating filter. It has an inline filter before the pump and the filter in the pump. Fred

sdelamarche

Cadet

Fred similar problem myself... Check my posting Spun prop, gas or electrical... Keep me posted as to your findings online here..

freddyray21

Commander

Update. Did some checking on the fuel issue. Hooked a hand pump to the fuel line before the fuel pump and was able to draw a good stream of gas from the tank so my pickup is not clogged. Started it up and it ran for a minute and died. Did this several times and then it finally dawned on me or so I think. I unhooked the hot wire to the coil and ran a hot wire direct from the ingnition to the coil started it up and it ran fine for several minutes until I shut it off. Seems the wires going to the coil must be shorting to ground I am guessing. I had an old Chevrolet that did that about 30 years ago same thing and that is what it was. I am going to take it out tommmorw morning and see. Fred