Where exactly is the waterpump?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
I assume in the below picture of my engine that "A" is the water pump housing since the hose comes off of it?

There is another pump below that hose (you can't see it) but I marked it "B". Is that the fuel pump?

Thanks!

Attachments

• boat_engine2.JPG
    boat_engine2.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where exactly is the waterpump?

I don't have the same engine as you, but A is definately the water pump, your B is where most fuel pumps are located, so there is a good chance that it is your fuel pump, it should be easy to check, the lines going to and from the pump will be much narrower, and one end should go up to the carburettor or fuel bar.

Gary

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thats what I thought. Saw a picture earlier that seemed to indicate the water pump was where "B" was but I knew that didn't make sense.

Thanks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just to clarify - "A" is the water pump, but on a boat it is usually called the circulating pump in order to not confuse it with the REAL water pump. On an Alpha, the water pump is in the outdrive, and on a Bravo, there is a belt driven raw water pump attached to the engine. Again, these are not to be confused with the circulating pump. Confused yet? ;)

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Well I just learned something new.

Gary

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Just to clarify - "A" is the water pump, but on a boat it is usually called the circulating pump in order to not confuse it with the REAL water pump. On an Alpha, the water pump is in the outdrive, and on a Bravo, there is a belt driven raw water pump attached to the engine. Again, these are not to be confused with the circulating pump. Confused yet? ;)

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Its a Bravo I and the raw water pump is belt driven. Would the raw water pump be that unit under hose "B"? I think it has 2 small hoses coming out of the back of it.

If thats not the raw water pump, then where is it?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

On a Bravo the raw water pump (or sea water pump) is located on engine STARBOARD (vessel RIGHT) and is belt driven. On some models the sea water pump drive housing has the fuel pump mounted on it as well.

If you have a failed pump that has broken vanes, you need to find all of the pieces or you could have blockage downstream of the pump.

On my 97 model year 7.4L GM engine, the oil cooler is downstream of the pump and it will stop all the impeller pieces. If you have a lot of pieces broken off it could seriously block the flow of coolant possibly causing an overheat condition at high power settings.

I recently replaced the pump and housing... I got the new one HERE

The impeller was still intact but was clearly damaged from running dry, and the housing was looking a little cooked. I also found the remnants of a previous failure crammed up into the oil cooler. All the broken impeller vanes fell out when I removed the hose from the oil cooler....so be sure to check for that!

If in doubt, just replace the whole pump/housing.

Regards,

Rick

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

I think merc recommends replacing the pump + housing anyway when its done.

Right now everything is working fine but I want to replace it sometime in the near future due to the fact the previous owner didn't know when the impeller had last been replaced.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If that's true (and this is a raw water cooled engine) then you should replace it NOW. You should also drop the hose from the oil cooler heat exchanger to see if someone did not recover broken vanes from a previous failure.

You don't want that pump to fail at the wrong time in the wrong place!!

Cheers,

Rick

I think merc recommends replacing the pump + housing anyway when its done.

Right now everything is working fine but I want to replace it sometime in the near future due to the fact the previous owner didn't know when the impeller had last been replaced.