cracked lower unit

pazzo1969

Recruit
question ?, is it possible to weld a crack on the lower unit of a 1973 135 hp ? the crack is on both sides, rite about inline with the shaft that goes into the bottom of the motor where the water in intake is the right side of the motor it starts below a "pee" hole and goes all the way to the skeg plate and is small and smooth the other side is 2.5 inches long but has a lip protruding a little. i am wrong in thinking it is trash or should i give it a try.. thanks as always mike

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: cracked lower unit

Is Oil leaking out of it? How did it happen? Impact? Water froze in it? I aluminum welded the lower unit on an old 5.5hp once and it worked well but that's way less torque than yours. Yours sounds like a fairly major crack. The safe answer of course is to find another lower unit.

pazzo1969

Recruit

oh yeah, it leaks only on the long smooth crack, not sure what happened to motor, the boat was given to me after a ten year stint of sitting in the weeds, i was replacing the water pump when i saw it.

ryanmhale

Recruit

i have the same problem that i just noticed after my last outing... i need to run it tomorrow so i flushed out the oil/water from the lower unit and did a temporary patch job with a couple sheets of aluminum, silicone and of course duct tape.

just curious as to how you resolved your issue

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The crack is not as big of an issue as is the other issues with the alignment of the shaft.
I would say that no matter how well you weld it the aluminum is warped.
Go on line to ebay and buy another used.
I don't think that any of your lower units guts are going to be good.

Shaft maybe bent
Bearings shot
gears worn.

But this all depends how far the boat was run before the problem was found.

Kyle