Proper way to wire an isolator

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know I have seen this subject in the past, but what is the correct way to wire an isolator. I have a duel battery set up. A starting battery (used for nothing eles, ever) and a deep cycle housekeeping battery (all the other stuff)<br /><br />Anyway, how should I wire the isolator to keep both charged? When at anchor I use the off/1/both/2 switch but since they are two different types of battery I want to charge both underway.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Proper way to wire an isolator

Without knowing anything about your engine, alternator or isolator, here is a generic "How To Wire an Isolator" out of a Mercruiser service manual. Basically, you hook the main B+ wire from the alternator to the isolators input, and hookup the outputs from the isolator to the batteries. <br /><br />
Isolator%20wiring.png

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You could wire it across the battery switch. <br />Alt to main post (common)<br />1 to batt 1 position<br />2 to batt 2 position.<br />In pos. 1, batt 2 is charged thru the isolator.<br />In pos 2, batt 1 is charged thru the isolator<br />Both pos , eliminates the isolator and charges both batt.s

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Don, never saw one hooked from the isol output right to the starter lug?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Disregard that, bigger pic makes more sense.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

bt doctur, they just dont show the batt cable in the above pic. but the red positive battery cable goes to the lug as well.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, it is off of a two wire alternator. with one type 24 and one type 27 battery.<br /><br />does this help?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

luckypenny. take the output lead off the altenator, run a suitable sized lead,normally 8Ga from the output terminal to the alt term on the isolator, then from the batt terminals on the isolator to the positive terminal of each battery or at the battery switch terminal.dont forget to tape off and isolate the removed wire as it will still have 12v on it.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, now that I am completely confused. How do I wire in the isolator.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are a hundred different alternators out there with 1,2,3,or4 wires going to them by many different manufacturers.<br />There are also a lot of different isolator manufacturers and types of isolaters. Didn't you get instructions with it?<br />If you can't figure out how with the explanitions and wiring diagrams already posted, then you need to have it done by a qualified person.<br />I'm not trying to be mean, but all the info you should need is in rodbolts and my posts.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

What happens to the red/white lead to the alt meter and the red lead to the starter?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

alt. meter = voltage gauge?<br />No reason to touch that or any leads on the starter.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been looking at the input from all and I want to make sure that I am doing things correctly. All of the references I see and from above do not match my alternator. It is an older system. I have one wire that connects to the starter lug (battery) and a ground. no other connections. The diagrams provided show a pos connection and one that goes to ign, and the ground. <br /><br />Should I connect the hot lead from the alt to the Alt post on the iso, then the batteries as normal?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Sound like a GM single wire type.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct. Single wire to the battery and a ground lug. I have researched as best I can and even that is confusing. Some references say one way to wire things together and others say that a single wire system can not be used with an isolator. I guess I can stay with the "OFF/A/BOTH/B" switch, but would rather have the option to keep two different types of battery fully charged. One starting battery and one deep cycle battery (Housekeeping)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You remove that orange or red wire from the alt.and insulate it. connect a new wire from the alt. to the "commom " of the isolator.<br />run a wire from #1 post to engine battery, from #2 post to the ships battery.min. 8 gauge wire.

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class

will that disable my amp and volt meters?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

should not. you may notice a slight drop in the reading but all batteries will charge normally.

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's some info you may be able to use, One wire alternators, sometime called self-exciting alternators, require battery voltage at the output terminal in order to charge, Since the battery Isolators eliminate the battery voltage to the alternator, you must use a battery isolator with an iginition excite capability or modifications must be made to the alternator to allow ignitation

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Is an isolator basically "oring" diodes?<br /><br />From an electronics backround this would allow both batteries to be charged form the alternator, however, the "output" of the batteries are not connected together.