125 L/U Question

sp0iler

Recruit
I have purchased a used lower unit for my 125.The seller says it has been tested to operate in good order.The unit is yet to be installed on the motor.
My question is this:How much force should it take to get this unit in and out of gear? Should I be able to spin the shafts and get this unit into gear by hand? Currently the shift shaft wont move up or down by hand and I just cant remember if it should or not.Do I need to be hooked up to the shift lever to get it in gear or should it shift easily by hand ? Im almost ready to install this unit but want more input on this matter before I proceed.
Thanks for your help and thoughts,
Sp0iler

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 125 L/U Question

I am new to this whole boating thing but when i bought my LU the shift shaft worked up and down really easy. I think it is the same unit as yours. Are you able to turn the drive shaft clockwise? I am sure someone will know something on here about it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes when they install the shift rod seal, they press it in a little too tightly. This expands the rubber and makes the shift rod stiff to move. If it is not jammed up tight, and moves at all, there is enough force generated by the shift linkage to move it, but it is better if it moves by hand with a slight drag.

The seal can not be loosened. If it is jammed so tight that you cannot move it at all, then remove the water pump and lower plate, remove the seal and press in a new one. they only cost about 8 bucks.

sp0iler

Recruit

Sometimes when they install the shift rod seal, they press it in a little too tightly. This expands the rubber and makes the shift rod stiff to move. If it is not jammed up tight, and moves at all, there is enough force generated by the shift linkage to move it, but it is better if it moves by hand with a slight drag.

The seal can not be loosened. If it is jammed so tight that you cannot move it at all, then remove the water pump and lower plate, remove the seal and press in a new one. they only cost about 8 bucks.

Excellent Frank.Thank you so much for the good news.Thats much better news than hearing I need a whole tear down.
Im fairly new to outboards and Force imparticular and kinda just felt like something was'nt right with this lower unit.
Ill update this post with my results.
Thanks again,Sp0iler

sp0iler

Recruit

WTG Frank.Nice call.It was indeed a tight seal.As jammed as it was, the seal broke free pretty easily and cleanly.Pressed in a new one and Im ready to mount this unit to my motor.
Again,Many thanks for the responses and the help,
Sp0iler