new parts or new engine?

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Current rig: 1988 raw water cooled 5.7 Mercruiser. 320 hours and gen1 alhpa outdrive.<br /><br />Engine is clean and runs well, but needs a valve job (deformed valve heads at #6) and it's also time to replace manifolds and risers. $500 worth of parts and labor already been spent to replace circulation pump and on diagnostics.<br /><br />Do I spend $700+labor on reman heads (might as well have them do both sides), then install new manifold and risers myself this winter, or should I just save that $ and repower?<br /><br />What should I expect to pay for a new 5.7 mercruiser and would it even be compatible with my gen 1 outdrive? I was hoping to replace both engine and outdrive at the same time, just sure I am prepared to spend that much $$ now.<br /><br />Any advice?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: new parts or new engine?

I think I'd recommend the repairs,rather than a repower.<br /><br />If you repower,you might think a whole package,and fuel injection etc. That may mean a whole package including a new out drive as well as new transom plate and gimbal housing.<br /><br />Next consider the shape of your boat,especially the transom.<br /><br />And consider the cost and the age of your boat.<br /><br />DHP

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might consider a long block if you are going to do the heads anyway. I got mine for about 1200.

TilliamWe

Banned

i know stuff is more expensive in MA, but I just paid $185 for a remanned Vortec head at my local machine shop. And i got to keep the cracked head with all the old springs.<br />Maybe your heads cost more cause they are the older style?<br />But for $700 in parts, are your heads repairable? Just cause you need valves doesn't automatically mean the heads are junk.

Davenc

Seaman Apprentice

I would re-power if you have the funds. I have a very trusted mechanic who always tells his customers this and it makes sense to me.<br /><br />Rebuilding the top half of a motor always puts more strain on the lower half. You could buy some time but might end up re-powering shortly any way. Are you running in salt water?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Let's see, 320 hours on the engine, low time.<br />Top overhaul XXX dollars.<br />Repower XXXXX dollars.<br />End of season, can do work over winter, save XXX dollars.<br />Top overhaul does not put "more strain" on the short block???<br />Save your money for this winter's heating bills.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If you can do the work yourself,and want to save $$$... get a rebuilt long block.......And put the rest into the drive......JK

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

JK, I agree. That was exactly my point when I mentioned the long block above. Why leave the lower half undone when for less than half more you can completely over haul the whole thing and get a one year warranty to boot.