Looking at a '86 Tournament v17

sbulla

Seaman
In my search for a decent fishing boat (my first in over 30 years), I've found a '86 Tracker Tournament V17 with a Merc "Classic" 50 on her and Tracker trailer. This boat was kept indoors most of her life and is in great shape cosmetically. PO must have bought it from Bass Pro 'cause their logo is all over it. Other items in the deal are a Minn-Kota foot controlled trolling motor, older Hummingbird finder, boat cover, two batts, and gas tank.

Dealer is asking $3700 and is going to take me out on it next week. That price is quite in line for most boats I've looked at lately and this dealer bought it from an estate of a man who bought it new but died recently. Of course I'll try to talk him down but, knowing the guy, I won't get far.

As I said, except for a few minor scratches and carpet stains, it would pass for new.

What y'all think? Is that boat a good stable platform for a couple of 200+lb fishing buddies?

Sonny

G_Lipe

Cadet
Re: Looking at a '86 Tournament v17

i've got an 88 tx17 and i is a very stable platform for two large fishers. however unless that boat is pristine you should be able to do better on the price. I bought the 88 a couple a weeks ago for 2300 with the same motor however the tach didn't work (broken wire now fixed) and there is some sun damage.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good boat. I've got a '92 Deep V 17 with a 60hp OMC on the back and it's been great. I talk to a guy at tournaments that picked up an '87 last season; almost the same boat as mine, he's happy with his boat. You can probably do a little better on the price for a boat and motor that old though. I don't think you would be out of line to offer $3000.

sbulla

Seaman

Good boat. I've got a '92 Deep V 17 with a 60hp OMC on the back and it's been great. I talk to a guy at tournaments that picked up an '87 last season; almost the same boat as mine, he's happy with his boat. You can probably do a little better on the price for a boat and motor that old though. I don't think you would be out of line to offer $3000.

I did a bit better on the price (for this area and time of year)and now, have the boat in my driveway. Been out on it a few times and am completely satisfied. The little Merc 45 pushes it to 30mph (checked with GPS) and starts everytime.

I'm, now, exploring ways to get more fuel capacity onboard. Only has a 6gal removable tank and I would like more without having to carry an extra tank outside of the compartment.

Thanks for the replies,
Sonny

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

My tank is built in right against the transom, 12 gallons. If I'm fishing all day and covering allot of water (relative to the size of my boat) I'll usually burn about 8. Have fun with your boat.