1989 Bayliner OMC 3.0l..replace or???

CodyG

Cadet
I bought a 1989 Bayliner Capri 195 last summer and with a few folks on the boat I did around 30mph. I added Trip tabs and it now does around 28mph. It runs real rough so I was going to have a local machine shop rebuild it or should I look for a different engine? I looked on Ebay and some other sites and the engines I saw were NOT cheap, are car engines even an option for me? Any help would be great..I have searched many sites but cant get a solid answer to what I need. <br /><br />What should I do..rebuild or replace? If replace..what size/price should I expect and can I put a V6/8 auto engine in? Thanks for the help its MUCH appriciated!

KaGee

Admiral
Re: 1989 Bayliner OMC 3.0l..replace or???

Why would you jump to rebuild a motor just because it's running rough? Have you found internal problems with the engine?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Have you considered a simple tune-up? Regarding a V-6, few parts you have will fit. You'll need a lot more than that boat is worth. It may not even be possible depending how the motor sits in the hull. It may take considerable modification costing thousands beyond the thousands for a complete motor. Trade it.

markvictor

Seaman

It's a boat, not a car..if you actually need a rebuild, that motor is not that expensive to do, but you are a bit underpowered in a boat of that size...But to upsize the engine, with the necessary change in gear ratio in your sterndrive, you would probably spend less by selling that boat and buying a different one...What are your intentions for the boat anyway? Just putting around the lake..skiing. wakeboarding? If you plan on using it as a towboat for watersports, you are already fighting an uphill battle..<br />regards, <br />markvictor

CodyG

Cadet

The boat tows and pulls skiers and tubes fine..just want it faster if possible. I think its worth it..I paid cash for it and at the price I paid (4k) I doubt I could get anything back so I am140hp should make this boat scoot pretty good. repainting it and putting a new interior an keeping it. I like the look so it is a good boat for many years, thought maybe a rebuild was in order to get it fresh again..it ran rough last year at the end but I think it was electrical as when I would try to trim it under full power it bogged pretty bad and it can be difficult to start and idles pretty rough..but our local "mechanics" said they werent to sure what it was..so figgure I should have it rebuilt or replaced with the 4.3 which bolts in and would be around 200hp according to the Marina..but who knows. Thanks for the help guys!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You aren't at 140 hp, 130 maybe, but the 89 OMC's were never 140.<br />While you might be able to go to a 4.3, it's going to take more than an engine. The exhaust Y will have to be replaced, along with the drive. The 3.0L engines had a lot lighter weight drive (smaller gears and shafts) and different gear ratio than the 4.3's and 5.0 and 5.7L engines did. So basically, all you have left is the transom shield and the trim cylinders. Everything else would have to be replaced.

CodyG

Cadet

So why did they put such a small engine in this big of a boat? Strange! What can I do to increase the power? And dont say sell it as its NOT going to happen. I dont want to keep up with Baja's or I would have bought one but want to do over 30mph on the lake. I come out of the water pretty nice now with those Smart Tabs on..but like I said I read on here of people with bigger boats saying they are doind 35-40 gps mph with same engine and I have to wonder whats up!! would be happy with 35+ mph with a few folks in it..next summer is going to be more cruising and runs than skiing so a little more speed would be nice!! Thanks again for the help

Don S

Have you tried using the drives trim? You mentioned you installed trim tabs, but you shouldn't be running with the tabs all the way down as that slows the boat down, running with the drive trimmed too low or high slows the boat down. Running with the wrong prop doesn't help either, is the bottom of the boat clean? You would be amazed how little muck it takes to slow a boat down.<br />Trimming, tweaking the prop to get the max out of it and minimum load will get you the speed everyone else gets. (along with a bit of BS)<br />What are you now getting for your WOT (Wide Open Throttle) rpm? That is how you tell if you have the right prop or not.

CodyG

Cadet

I was getting 30mph according to the spedo before the trip tabs..only ran it once after we installed them (they work great so far..Smart Tabs..no need to adjust them, they do it all by themselves) bottom of boat is clean and buffed, prop was set right..I want to say 4200rpms but its been a few months. And I have the factory trim all the way down as every thing I have read says that any uptilt slows it down as the prop angle changes and instead of pushing the boat forward it pushes it at a downward angle that will help it plane but thats what my tabs are for. I used a 17 and 18 prop last summer..didnt see much of a difference. The boat got a tune up before I bought it from the dealership (so they said..they were pretty sheistie and I wont even buy a drain plug now from them) but taking it in the spring to another dealer to have them look at it. Maybe it just needs a tune up BAD at 130hp should push this 19' Bayliner pretty well or so I thought. lol..$3500 could have been spent better but this thing is addictive!

Don S

Several comments, first of all they are known as Trim Tabs, not Trip Tabs. They are "Tabs" used for trimming the boat. Second, the drive normally is not run all the way down. That slows you down, especially with the smart tabs. With the drive all the way down, the bow of the boat is plowing through the water instead of planing over it. The Smart Tabs makes it even worse. <br />Trim tabs are normally only needed on smaller boats (19' is a smaller boat) to trim the boat side to side, not fore and aft. The trim of the drive should do that with no problem.<br />When running a 4 cylinder engine on a 19' boat, a tuneup EVERY spring should be in order just to keep everything running the best it can.<br />Your WOT rpm should be around 4400 to 4800. Otherwise you are overpropped and overworking your engine for nothing.<br />Next time you take it out, trim the drive up some. As long as the rpm and the speed are going up, keep trimming up (a little at a time) then when you start gaining rpm and not speed, down just a tick so you have best rpm and speed. NOW, you are trimmed properly. You probably have the right pitched prop, you just need to trim it out so the rpms will come up. Which will also bring up the speed. <br />All the way down helps to get you on step quicker, but you have to trim out for top speed.

CodyG

Cadet

I know their trim tabs..sorry if I spelled it wrong I was in a hurry. And they are for bigger boats as well, which is the ones I bought. I wanted the help side to side as well as for/aft. Smart Tabs instruction book said to lower the unit and go..never said to trim it out at all, I might have to try that. Someone also said to add a "whale tail" as well to help with it..not sure if thats over kill or not. It has a bad for/aft rock and the smart tabs got rid of it so far. I need to install a trim guage, it has the lead for one but one wasnt installed. What mph SHOULD this thing be running? 30mph seems awful slow when I hear of more, and it seems weird they would limit this boat to that slow. I have to do a tune-up..I have the carb rebuilding kit, had to buy a new water seperator setup to install..already replaced the cap/rotor and plugs last summer and set dwell, maybe I should replace more? Thanks again

Don S

To be blunt, I think you are trying to throw toys at it to make it work (Whale Tail, Smart Tabs, etc).<br />If the engine isn't tuned up all at one time and running right, it won't work.<br />Changing some parts one year, adjusting something else this year, and doing something different next year isn't going to help.<br />Do a complete tuneup. Including compression check new points, condenser, cap, rotor, spark plugs etc, rebuild your carb and change the fuel filter all at once and fix it all at the same time. It all has to work together.<br />Then you have to set the dwell, then the timing, then the carb mixture, then the idle speed, then check the advance timing and do an engine vacuum check.<br />Take those tabs off or set them so they don't do anything, run the boat, and trim the drive and check how it works and what your WOT rpm is. My bet is the boat will run fine when trimmed properly.<br />I wouldn't have even mentioned the Trip Tab thing, except you posted it that way in 2 seperate posts. Just letting you know what they were actually called.

CodyG

Cadet

I did the cap/rotor/plugs/oil/filter/fuel filter/dwell/timing all at once, so guess I dont see what more I can do. And again sorry I mis typed..since I installed them I reckon I know what they are!! Guess I will take care of this on my own as not much help is to be found here..but thanks for the responses!!

Don S

Use the drive trim, I think you will find you got a lot more information than you think you did.<br />I know for a fact that 99% of the boats don't plane properly when running with the drive trimmed all the way down, and the smart tabs just makes the problem worse by pushing the bow down even more, which causes your bow to plow and slows the boat down even more.

CodyG

Cadet

no didnt mean you guys didnt have info..ment dont find alot for my boat..anywhere on the web. Cant even really find forums for Bayliners per say or my engine..not a lot of specific stuff out there for it even though they made a ton of them. Gonna have to figgure out how to get my interior out somehow as I cant even buy a manual for my boat..just got one for my engine

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Cody, Take the time to listen to those who give advice on this board. Especially people like Don S. (professional marine technician) He can figure out anything! Don't be in a hurry to throw parts at your engine. Sometimes the most difficult problems with boats have the simplest solution. The way you are trimming your drive might be the whole problem. If that don't help go back to basics. I once had a misfire on my Mercruiser 140 that drove me nuts. I jumped to conclusions and rebuilt the carb, then changed the plugs, then messed with the timing......Needless to say I invested time and money and still had the original problem! The solution....A loose point set! retighten, reset dwell and timing and she ran better than new! And if I had taken the time to go through it logically I would have not even needed replacement parts! Get yourself a service manual and take the troubleshooting one step at a time, and don't be shy to ask the good people that hang out here on the boards. With a little patience and time you can fix this yourself!<br /><br />Good luck! :)

CodyG

Cadet

The weird thing is the bog I have is after we did a tune up. I personally think the Marina gave me bad info for settings..when I asked them about it since my service manual said different they said "who you going to listen to..them or us?". They are OMC repair shop so I listened. Like I said now at WOT if I try to trip the engine it bogs down as long as I am holding the trim button, like its a kill switch. They had me set my tiiming to 4 degrees BTDC, book said different..dont know.<br /><br />I am going to replace the plugs again, replace the fuel filter and blow the lines, replace the spark plug wires, check dwell, etc and see whats up. It sucks..I just think it should do more than 30mph..but I guess not. Debated buying a spare engine and doing a big bore and head work on it..see what it does. I love the boat..its getting MAJOR reworking done, so want to have is scoot as well as it looks..IF thats possible. Any forums for Bayliner boats..I googled and cant seem to fine one.

Don S

Bog? Timing? Debate on settings?? None of this was stated before.<br />You haven't given any info as to any of this before, and why you think puting another engine in just to keep from setting the engine to specs is beyond me. If you set the new engine to the specs you have now, it will probably do the same thing.<br />Get off the speed thing and say what your problem is. Bogging could be carb adjustment, timing problems, advance not working, accelerator pump inop or a lot of other things. Has nothing whatsoever to do with it being a bayliner or a searay or a bleakerstand. If it has a 3.0L OMC, there are things that can be a problem with them that has nothing to do with the boat itself. Are you sure you don't have a problem with the ESA module?<br />What manual are you using, why does your mechanic feel the timing should be different than the book, is your mechanic an OMC dealer (sorry, were they OMC dealers, since OMC doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for 10 years).

CodyG

Cadet

Actually Don..I DID state this before. I said that at WOT if I use the trim on my throttle the engine bogs out. And btw if I hold it..it will die. <br /><br />Yes the dealership is/was an OMC dealer and yes I know they are no longer in business but there still are dealers out there who specialize in it. Its the only OMC repair shop in town (2nd largest city in Iowa). The manual I am using is the one they sold me..Clymers OMC Cobra Stern Drive Shop Manual 1986-1993. When I asked them what the timing should be I was told when using 89 octane it was to be 4 BTDC and I dont remember what the book said but it was different. They told me the book was wrong (even though they sold it to me). Like I said the boat ran fine before the tune up, we did it to see if we could get more power (sorry I am looking for power/speed if available..what was I thinking!!)<br /><br />I thought about either rebuilding the engine as it IS 17 years old and could use a freshening I am sure or replacing it whit a more powerful engine as I stated, I wont be selling it as I enjoy the lines of the boat and it was something I wanted. <br /><br />Sea, thanks for the link, I will check it out!!